Search the collections
Photograph - Supper Preparations in the Great Hall Galleries during the Royal Visit, Exhibition Building, Melbourne, 27 Feb 1958 Reg. No: MM 124951
- Black & white photograph showing one of the galleries of the Great Hall of the Exhibition Buildings being laid out for a supper as part of the events surrounding the Royal Visit by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother, to Australia in 1958. The galleries are located on either side of the Hall, underneath the balcony areas, and the supper was catered for 2,000 people.
This is one of 959 photographs (or images) of the Exhibition Building collated by the Exhibition Trustees as a 10 volume pictorial history of the Exhibition Building spanning the years 1880 to 1985. The pictorial history was instigated by the centenary of the Exhibition Building in 1980 and forms part of a larger Royal Exhibition Building collection of documents, photographs, objects and research files.
- A black & white silver gelatin print on a page of a photograph album. There is a printed caption below the photograph.
- Statement Of Significance:
- The Exhibition Trustees' album containing this photograph provides an invaluable visual record of past maintenance and restoration work undertaken on the Royal Exhibition Buildings prior to the building being recognised with a World Heritage Listing in 2004.
- Description Of Content:
- View along one of the galleries in the Great Hall of the Exhibition Building, underneath the balconies, showing tables being laid in preparation for a supper held as part of the 1958 Royal Visit by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother. The wall on the right is decorated with draped flags and pennants, while against the wall can be seen long tables covered in white table clothes being set.
- Acquisition Information:
- Transfer from Trustees of the Royal Exhibition Building (REB), 2000
|Dimensions:||201 mm (Height), 253 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||exhibitions melbourne international 1880-1881, buildings, royal visits, royal exhibition building, royalty british, dinners, royal exhibition building history of events 1950-1959, royal exhibition building trustees|
|Themes this item is part of:||HM Elizabeth, Queen Mother (1900-2002), Images & Image Making Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection, Royal Exhibition Building Collection|
|Primary Classification:||PUBLIC EVENTS|
|Secondary Classification:||Royal Visits|
|Tertiary Classification:||official visits|
|Inscriptions:||Printed below photograph: Royal Visit 1958. Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother, Thursday February 27th. Gallery Great Hall which accommodated 2,000 people for supper.|
|Format:||Photograph: Black & White|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Royal Exhibition Building (REB), Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 27 Feb 1958|
|Person Named:||HRH The Queen Mother Queen Elizabeth, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 27 Feb 1958|