Search the collections
Photograph - Official Dais in the Great Hall during the Royal Visit, Exhibition Building, Melbourne, 27 Feb 1958 Reg. No: MM 124952
- Black & white photograph showing the official dais under the Dome of the Great Hall, Exhibition Buildings, set up in preparation for the events surrounding the Royal Visit by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother, to Australia in 1958.
This is one of 959 photographs (or images) of the Exhibition Building collated by the Exhibition Trustees as a 10 volume pictorial history of the Exhibition Building spanning the years 1880 to 1985. The pictorial history was instigated by the centenary of the Exhibition Building in 1980 and forms part of a larger Royal Exhibition Building collection of documents, photographs, objects and research files.
- A black & white silver gelatin print on a page of a photograph album. There is a printed caption below the photograph.
- Statement Of Significance:
- The Exhibition Trustees' album containing this photograph provides an invaluable visual record of past maintenance and restoration work undertaken on the Royal Exhibition Buildings prior to the building being recognised with a World Heritage Listing in 2004.
- Description Of Content:
- View from the north west balcony looking south east into the southern transept of the Exhibition Building, showing the official dais set up under the dome as part of the 1958 Royal Visit of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother. The southern transept is partly partioned by a draped curtin, with a row of chairs arranged at the back of the dais. The front and sides of the dais are decorated with floral arrangements. Although the interior of the Great Hall retains its white paint finish, applied in the 1930s, several of the original 1901 Sylphs are visible, having not been painted over.
- Acquisition Information:
- Transfer from Trustees of the Royal Exhibition Building (REB), 2000
|Dimensions:||201 mm (Height), 253 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||exhibitions melbourne international 1880-1881, buildings, royal visits, royal exhibition building, royalty british, royal exhibition building history of events 1950-1959, royal exhibition building trustees|
|Themes this item is part of:||HM Elizabeth, Queen Mother (1900-2002), Images & Image Making Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection, Royal Exhibition Building Collection|
|Primary Classification:||PUBLIC EVENTS|
|Secondary Classification:||Royal Visits|
|Tertiary Classification:||official visits|
|Inscriptions:||Printed below photograph: Royal Visit 1958. Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother, Thursday February 27th. Official dais dome area Great Hall.|
|Format:||Photograph: Black & White|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Royal Exhibition Building (REB), Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 27 Feb 1958|
|Person Named:||HRH The Queen Mother Queen Elizabeth, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 27 Feb 1958|