Search the collections
Lantern Slide - Oak Statuette of St Cecilia, Victoria & Albert Museum, 1909-1930 Reg. No: MM 111723
- One of a set of ninety photographic magic lantern slides containing images of artefacts, art works, decorative arts, interiors and furniture which appear to belong to various museum and gallery collections in the United Kingdom.
This slide depicts an image of an oak statuette of Saint Cecilia (the patron saint of music), made in Seville, circa 1610-1630. This statuette is part of the collection at the Victoria and Albert Museum, London.
The Francis Collection of pre-cinematic apparatus and ephemera was acquired by the Australian and Victorian Governments in 1975. David Francis was the curator of the National Film and Sound Archive of the British Film Institute as well as being a co-founder of the Museum of the Moving Image in London, which was operational between 1988 and 1999.
- Standard format (3¼ x 3¼ inch square) lantern slide, comprising black & white photograph printed on glass with black paper edging under a protective glass cover plate.
- Description Of Content:
- Oak statue of St Cecilia holding a set of pipes in her left hand.
- Acquisition Information:
- Loan & Subsequent Donation from Australian Film Institute (AFI)
- Source: Museum Victoria
|Dimensions:||82 mm (Height), 82 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||museum history, woodworking, music, lantern slides, statues, museums, art galleries, decorative arts, religious artifacts, optical amusements, saints|
|Themes this item is part of:||Francis Collection, Images & Image Making Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection|
|Primary Classification:||PUBLIC INSTITUTIONS|
|Secondary Classification:||Museums & Galleries|
|Tertiary Classification:||heritage displays|
|Inscriptions:||Hand written in blue ink on a cream label attached to slide: '1096'
Hand written in black ink on a cream label attached to slide: 'OAK STATUETTE (CECILIA) / 51043'
|Format:||Lantern Slide: Black & White; Standard (3¼ in. x 3¼ in.)|
|Place & Date Created:||England, Great Britain, 1909-1930|
|Owner of Item Depicted:||Victoria & Albert Museum, South Kensington, England, Great Britain|