Search the collections
Greeting Card - Elia & Knott Families to The Alfred hospital Burns Unit Staff, Feb 2009 Reg. No: HT 26509
- This handmade card was sent by the Elia and Knott families to the doctors and nurses of The Alfred hospital's Burns Unit after the Black Saturday bushfires of February 2009. The Burns Unit, as one of the major hospital services receiving victims of the bushfires, was swamped with cards, letters and gifts not only for the patients but also for the staff of the Unit.
Created by the children of the families, this card illustrates the outpouring of public support to survivors of Black Saturday and to those who cared for them.
- Folded sheet of A4 white paper with a large heart and text in black ink.
- Statement Of Significance:
- This card of one of many that were received by The Alfred hospital in the days following the bushfires of February 2009. People around the world responded to the crisis with donations of money and material aid but they also wanted to express personal messages of hope and support directly to the people involved. The Burns Unit, as one of the major hospital services receiving victims of the bushfires, was swamped with cards, letters and gifts not only for the patients but also for the staff of the Unit. This collection illustrates the power of the media in conveying the effects of the fires, but more importantly it demonstrates people's need to connect directly with the victims and their carers, regardless of whether they even knew their names.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from The Alfred Hospital Burns Unit, 2010
|Dimensions:||210 mm (Height), 150 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||bushfires, greeting cards, emergency medical services|
|Themes this item is part of:||Medicine in Society Collection, Sustainable Futures Collection, Victorian Bushfires Collection|
|Secondary Classification:||Natural Disasters|
Thank you / Thank you
Dear Doctors and Nurse
thak [sic] you for all the help you have done for people that got burnt and in th [sic] fires.
Note on left inside:
Give note to Lou to give to Mary Ann
|Recipient:||The Alfred Hospital Burns Unit, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Feb 2009|
|Place Used:||The Alfred Hospital Burns Unit, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Feb 2009|