Search the collections
Greeting Card - Mary and Jim to The Alfred hospital Burns Unit, Feb 2009 Reg. No: HT 26510
- This card was sent by Mary and Jim to the nursing staff of The Alfred hospital's Burns Unit after the Black Saturday bushfires of February 2009. The Burns Unit, as one of the major hospital services receiving victims of the bushfires, was swamped with cards, letters and gifts not only for the patients but also for the staff of the Unit.
- Folded greeting card with exterior design of waves breaking on sand and rock, with a starfish in foreground of photo. text is in white and black, and the interior message is handwritten in black ink.
- Statement Of Significance:
- This card of one of many that were received by The Alfred hospital in the days following the bushfires of February 2009. People around the world responded to the crisis with donations of money and material aid but they also wanted to express personal messages of hope and support directly to the people involved. The Burns Unit, as one of the major hospital services receiving victims of the bushfires, was swamped with cards, letters and gifts not only for the patients but also for the staff of the Unit. This collection illustrates the power of the media in conveying the effects of the fires, but more importantly it demonstrates people's need to connect directly with the victims and their carers, regardless of whether they even knew their names.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from The Alfred Hospital Burns Unit, 2010
|Dimensions:||165 mm (Height), 115 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||bushfires, greeting cards, emergency medical services|
|Themes this item is part of:||Medicine in Society Collection, Sustainable Futures Collection, Victorian Bushfires Collection|
|Secondary Classification:||Natural Disasters|
God has promised never to allow more on you than He puts within you to handle.
- The Purpose Driven Life
Card interior message:
God is with you to strengthen you, equip you, help you, comfort you, and love you. He will carry you through!
To all patients
As we are not able to visit you & spoil you we hope this card will show you we are thinking off [sic] you all you will soon feel better thank you for your strength and courage you should be very proud of yourselves as you have made us all better people in helping each other
Mary and Jim
Many thanks to all doctors & nurses for the care & kindness in looking after you all
|Recipient:||The Alfred Hospital Burns Unit, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Feb 2009|
|Place Used:||The Alfred Hospital Burns Unit, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Feb 2009|