Search the collections
Letter - Troy to The Alfred hospital Burns Unit, Feb 2009 Reg. No: HT 26513
- This letter was sent by Troy to the patients of The Alfred hospital's Burns Unit after the Black Saturday bushfires of February 2009. He has included a stick-figure drawing of a family, including what appears to be a cat.
- Single sheet of A4 lined paper with four stick figures in blue ink and handwritten text.
- Statement Of Significance:
- This card of one of many that were received by The Alfred hospital in the days following the bushfires of February 2009. People around the world responded to the crisis with donations of money and material aid but they also wanted to express personal messages of hope and support directly to the people involved. The Burns Unit, as one of the major hospital services receiving victims of the bushfires, was swamped with cards, letters and gifts not only for the patients but also for the staff of the Unit. This collection illustrates the power of the media in conveying the effects of the fires, but more importantly it demonstrates people's need to connect directly with the victims and their carers, regardless of whether they even knew their names.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from The Alfred Hospital Burns Unit, 2010
|Dimensions:||290 mm (Height), 205 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||children, bushfires, greeting cards, emergency medical services|
|Themes this item is part of:||Medicine in Society Collection, Sustainable Futures Collection, Victorian Bushfires Collection|
|Secondary Classification:||Natural Disasters|
|Inscriptions:||We are thinking about you. Be strong.
|Recipient:||The Alfred Hospital Burns Unit, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Feb 2009|
|Place Used:||The Alfred Hospital Burns Unit, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Feb 2009|