Search the collections
Letter & Envelope - H.V. McKay, to Prime Minister Andrew Fisher, 26 Feb 1911 Reg. No: HT 27229
- Letter, with envelope, from H.V. McKay to Andrew Fisher, Prime Minister of Australia concerning the Agricultural Implement Makers Union strike in January 1911. This was the first union action strike to impact on the Sunshine Harvester Works and became a Federal issue as the strike escalated.
The letter is from the H. V. McKay Archive, which includes an extensive collection of business records and private papers relating the H.V. McKay and his enterprise.
- Single sheet of off-white paper, parallel folded in half with the a coat of arms in blue ink at the top left of the page and the letter itself handwritten in black ink and accompanying off-white envelope.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Mrs Cecil Newton McKay (nee Shaw)
|Dimensions:||18.0 mm (Height), 11.3 mm (Width)|
|Dimension Comment:||Dimensions of letter when folded|
|Tagged with:||trade unions, agriculture, strikes, industrial disputes|
|Themes this item is part of:||Hugh V. McKay, Agricultural Implement & Machinery Manufacturer, Ballarat & Sunshine, Victoria, Sunshine Stripper Harvester, H.V. McKay Massey Harris Pty Ltd, Agricultural Equipment Manufacturers & Importers, Sunshine, Victoria, H.V. McKay Sunshine Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection, Sustainable Futures Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection, The Sunshine Harvester Works, Sunshine, Victoria, Australia|
|Primary Classification:||MANUFACTURING & INDUSTRY|
|Secondary Classification:||Agricultural & Horticultural Equipment|
|Inscriptions:||In pencil: 5/6/Series B
Printed: 'MANU FORTI [within coat of arms letterhead] / SUNSHINE'
Handwritten in black ink on letter: I wish personally to thank you for your kindly intervention in the dispute in our trade and to tell you how much I appreciate the candid way in which you talked over the matters affecting the unfortunate strike. I put the matter to the employees at a full meeting which lasted from 11 a.m. until 1 p.m. on Saturday. The employees all expressed their appreciation of the spirit in which you made the offer to mediate. The issue, however, is a clearcut one and there is no room for compromise...'
Dated: 'Feb 26th, 1911.'
Handwritten in black ink on envelope: 'Personal / The Hon Andrew Fisher'
|Addressed To:||Honourable Mr Andrew Fisher - Commonwealth of Australia, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 26 Feb 1911|
|Author:||H.V. McKay, Sunshine Harvester Works, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 24 Feb 1911|
This item is part of the following themes:
- Hugh V. McKay, Agricultural Implement & Machinery Manufacturer, Ballarat & Sunshine, Victoria
- Sunshine Stripper Harvester
- H.V. McKay Massey Harris Pty Ltd, Agricultural Equipment Manufacturers & Importers, Sunshine, Victoria
- H.V. McKay Sunshine Collection
- Public Life & Institutions Collection
- Sustainable Futures Collection
- Working Life & Trades Collection
- The Sunshine Harvester Works, Sunshine, Victoria, Australia