Search the collections
Registration Bag - Women on Farms Gathering, Warragul, 2009 Reg. No: HT 27597
- Carry bag given to participants upon registration at the 2009 Warragul Women on Farms Gathering. The bag contained various marketing items from local agribusiness sponsors, corporate sponsors and government agricultural bodies promoting local rural services.
- Heavy black fabric, insulated, with soft black nylon drawstring closure inside a full length flap with hook & loop fastening. A heavy black webbing shoulder strap. Logo and printed text in gold.
- Statement Of Significance:
- A key feature that unites all Victorian Women on Farms Gatherings is the tradition of giving gifts and souvenirs to participants. These gifts are usually sourced from the region that the Gathering is held and include local foodstuffs, pamphlets and handcrafted goods. They are usually handed to participants at the beginning of the Gathering during registration, and are often contained within a bag, such as this 2002 Kyneton Gathering bag. This tradition of gift-giving allows the local organising committee to showcase their region's produce, as well as to make their guests feel welcome from the outset of the Gathering weekend.
The 20th anniversary Women on Farms Gathering was held at Warragul, the location of the first and 10th gatherings. The theme was 'Celebrate Women Farming' and 'Water Our Future', with a windmill as the logo. The 20th gathering covered a range of topics and subjects including: sustainable farming families, permaculture, chain saw know-how and maintenance, water management trends in Victoria, self care, tai chi, yoga, folk art, 'paint yourself happy' and patchwork. It represented both the interest in contemporary agricultural issues and the need to provide opportunities for relaxation and rejuvenation for rural women. Souvenirs, like this bag, offered practical and beneficial items for all participants.
- Acquisition Information:
- Collected from Ms Liza Dale-Hallett - Museum Victoria Collections, Research & Exhibitions
|Dimensions:||340 mm (Height), 215 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||agriculture, rural victoria, rural life, work, community groups, community organisations, gender roles, rural women, women on farms gatherings, farming information|
|Themes this item is part of:||Domestic & Community Life Collection, Sustainable Futures Collection, Victorian Women on Farms Gathering Collection, 2009 Warragul WoFG|
|Primary Classification:||AGRICULTURE & RURAL LIFE|
|Secondary Classification:||Community Activity - Women on Farms Gathering|
|Inscriptions:||Text: "Women on Farms / 2009 Gathering / Warragul".|
|Commissioned By:||Women on Farms, West Gippsland, Warragul, West Gippsland, Victoria, Australia, May 2009|
|Place & Date of Event:||Warragul, Gippsland, Victoria, Australia, 2009|