Search the collections
Stereograph - Federation Celebrations, Illuminated Exhibition Buildings, H. Myers, Melbourne, Victoria, 1901 Reg. No: MM 112513
- Mounted stereograph showing the Exhibition Building illuminated at night and its reflection in the lake. It is part of the G. H. Myers Collection which consists of 73 photographs taken by Godfrey Henry Myers, an electrician and amateur photographer, in Melbourne during May 1901. 72 of these photographs depict preparations for the celebrations that surrounded Federation; all but one are glass stereographs.
The subsequent addition of 14 printed stereograph photographs compliments the existing holding of Myer's glass stereograph negatives. This collection represents Myers' one venture into commercial photography. It is significant for its images of the crowds, which do not feature so prominently in commercial photographs. The remaining photograph is a family portrait.
The opening of the Australian Parliament on 9 May 1901 was an occasion for great celebrations in Melbourne. Ten days of festivities (from 6-16 May) were planned to mark the Federation of the new nation and honour the Royal visitors, the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and York. The city was transformed with decorations - flags, bunting, colourful lights and festive arches - and a series of public events were held, including a military tattoo and several street parades. Unprecedented numbers of people arrived in Melbourne from the rest of Victoria and throughout Australia to take part in the celebrations.
- Black & white stereographic photograph mounted on cardboard backing printed with publisher details.
- Description Of Content:
- Illuminated Exhibition Building, Carlton, Federation Celebrations, Melbourne, May 1901. Ten thousand lights outlined the Exhibition Building. The upper lights were white, and the lower lights ruby red. They are reflected in the ornamental lake which once graced the front of the building. The building was the setting for the proclamation of Australia's first Parliament on the 9 May 1901. Melbourne remained the temporary Capital of the Commonwealth for 26 years until a Parliament House was built in Canberra.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Debbie Harvey, 2010
|Dimensions:||88 mm (Height), 178 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||exhibitions, royal exhibition building, stereographs, photography, melbourne landmarks, royal tours|
|Themes this item is part of:||G.H. Myers Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection|
|Primary Classification:||PUBLIC EVENTS|
|Inscriptions:||Printed on backing rh margin: Obtainable ONLY from/ H. MYERS, Publishers,/ TREVELYAN STREET, ELSTERNWICK./ Copy - Direct from Original Negative.
Printed on backing lh margin: H. MYERS, Australian Series of Stereoscopic/ Views.
|Format:||Stereograph: Black & White|
|Photographer:||Godfrey Myers, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1901|