Search the collections
Photograph - Western Nave during the Royal Visit of Princess Alexandra, Exhibition Building, Melbourne, 17 Sep 1959 Reg. No: MM 124953
- Black & white photograph looking along the western nave towards the Grand Organ in the Great Hall, Exhibition Buildings, with a small dais set up in front of the Organ in preparation for the events surrounding the Royal Visit by Her Royal Highness Princess Alexandra to Australia in 1959.
The young, twenty-two year old Princess visited Australia from 14 August to 20 September, primarily to attend the Queensland Centenary Celebrations. She returned again in 1967, and in 1980 was in Melbourne to commemorate the centenary of the Exhibition Building, officially bestowing it with the new title, the Royal Exhibition Building.
This is one of 959 photographs (or images) of the Exhibition Building collated by the Exhibition Trustees as a 10 volume pictorial history of the Exhibition Building spanning the years 1880 to 1985. The pictorial history was instigated by the centenary of the Exhibition Building in 1980 and forms part of a larger Royal Exhibition Building collection of documents, photographs, objects and research files.
- A black & white silver gelatin print on a page of a photograph album. There is a printed caption below the photograph.
- Statement Of Significance:
- The Exhibition Trustees' album containing this photograph provides an invaluable visual record of past maintenance and restoration work undertaken on the Royal Exhibition Buildings prior to the building being recognised with a World Heritage Listing in 2004.
- Description Of Content:
- View looking west towards the Grand Organ, partly obscurred by a draped curtain partion, with a small stage set up in front and decorated with floral arrangements on either side.
- Acquisition Information:
- Transfer from Trustees of the Royal Exhibition Building (REB), 2000
|Dimensions:||201 mm (Height), 252 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||exhibitions melbourne international 1880-1881, buildings, royal visits, royal exhibition building, royalty british, royal exhibition building history of events 1950-1959, royal exhibition building trustees|
|Themes this item is part of:||Images & Image Making Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection, Royal Exhibition Building Collection|
|Primary Classification:||PUBLIC EVENTS|
|Secondary Classification:||Royal Visits|
|Tertiary Classification:||official visits|
|Inscriptions:||Printed below photograph: Royal Visit 1959. Reception to Her Royal Highness Princess Alexandra, Thursday September 17th 1959. Looking west towards Organ Gallery.|
|Format:||Photograph: Black & White|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Royal Exhibition Building (REB), Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 17 Sep 1959|
|Person Named:||HRH Princess Alexandra, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 17 Sep 1959|