Search the collections
Similar items over time
Photograph - Official Party in the Great Hall during the Royal Visit, Exhibition Building, Melbourne, 27 Feb 1958 Reg. No: MM 124954
- Black and white photograph showing the official party, including Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother, standing with the Victorian Premier Henry Bolte on the official dais under the dome in the Exhibition Building during the Royal Visit in 1958.
This is one of 959 photographs (or images) of the Exhibition Building collated by the Exhibition Trustees as a 10 volume pictorial history of the Exhibition Building spanning the years 1880 to 1985. The pictorial history was instigated by the centenary of the Exhibition Building in 1980 and forms part of a larger Royal Exhibition Building collection of documents, photographs, objects and research files.
- A black & white silver gelatin print on a page of a photograph album. There is a printed caption below the photograph.
- Statement Of Significance:
- The Exhibition Trustees' album containing this photograph provides an invaluable visual record of past maintenance and restoration work undertaken on the Royal Exhibition Buildings prior to the building being recognised with a World Heritage Listing in 2004.
- Description Of Content:
- View looking south towards the official dais showing the official party, including Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother, with the Premier of Victoria, Henry Bolte and his wife in the Exhibition Building during the royal visit in 1958.
- Acquisition Information:
- Transfer from Trustees of the Royal Exhibition Building (REB), 2000
|Dimensions:||202 mm (Height), 252 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||exhibitions melbourne international 1880-1881, buildings, royal visits, royal exhibition building, royalty british, interior views, royal exhibition building history of events 1950-1959, royal exhibition building trustees|
|Themes this item is part of:||Images & Image Making Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection, Royal Exhibition Building Collection, HM Elizabeth, Queen Mother (1900-2002)|
|Primary Classification:||PUBLIC EVENTS|
|Secondary Classification:||Royal Visits|
|Tertiary Classification:||official visits|
|Inscriptions:||Printed below photograph: Royal Visit 1958. Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother, Thursday/ February 27th. Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother with the/ Premier of Victoria, The Honourable Henry BOLTE and Mrs. BOLTE and official/ party.|
|Format:||Photograph: Black & White|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Royal Exhibition Building (REB), Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 27 Feb 1958|
|Person Depicted:||HRH The Queen Mother Queen Elizabeth, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 27 Feb 1958|
|Person Depicted:||Sir Henry Bolte - State Government Victoria Department of Premier and Cabinet, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 27 Feb 1958|