Search the collections
Photograph - Reception Preparation in the Great Hall during the Royal Visit of Princess Alexandra, Exhibition Building, Melbourne, 17 Sep 1959 Reg. No: MM 124956
- Black & white photograph looking west along the eastern nave towards the Grand Organ, showing preparations taking place in the Great Hall of the Exhibition Building as part of the Royal Visit by Her Royal Highness Princess Alexandra in September 1959.
This is one of 959 photographs (or images) of the Exhibition Building collated by the Exhibition Trustees as a 10 volume pictorial history of the Exhibition Building spanning the years 1880 to 1985. The pictorial history was instigated by the centenary of the Exhibition Building in 1980 and forms part of a larger Royal Exhibition Building collection of documents, photographs, objects and research files.
- A black & white silver gelatin print on a page of a photograph album. There is a printed caption below the photograph.
- Statement Of Significance:
- The Exhibition Trustees' album containing this photograph provides an invaluable visual record of past maintenance and restoration work undertaken on the Royal Exhibition Buildings prior to the building being recognised with a World Heritage Listing in 2004.
- Description Of Content:
- View along the length of the Great Hall, Exhibition Building, looking west, with several figures in the left foreground, and the official dais being constructed under the dome for the reception as part of the 1959 Royal Visit of Her Royal Highness Princess Alexandra.
|Dimensions:||252 mm (Height), 201 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||exhibitions melbourne international 1880-1881, buildings, royal visits, royal exhibition building, royalty british, interior views, royal exhibition building history of events 1950-1959, royal exhibition building trustees|
|Themes this item is part of:||Images & Image Making Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection, Royal Exhibition Building Collection|
|Primary Classification:||PUBLIC EVENTS|
|Secondary Classification:||Royal Visits|
|Tertiary Classification:||official visits|
|Inscriptions:||Printed below photograph: Royal Visit 1959. Reception to Her Royal Highness Princess Alexandra, Thursday September 17th 1959. Preparation Great Hall looking west,|
|Format:||Photograph: Black & White|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Royal Exhibition Building (REB), Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 17 Sep 1959|
|Person Named:||HRH Princess Alexandra, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 17 Sep 1959|