Search the collections
Digital Photograph - Mosaic 'Riding On The Sheep's Back', Epsom Road Overpass, Newmarket, Apr 2010 Reg. No: MM 112540
- One of 11 photographs taken by Robert Cutting on 25 April 2010 who was commissioned by the Kensington Community Group for use in preparation for the 150th Anniversary of the Newmarket Saleyards to be celebrated in 2011. These photographs highlight a selection of the Mosaic Mural ?The Back Gate? created by community artist Elizabeth (Libby) McKinnon 1990-1992 and installed in its current position beneath the Epsom Road overpass in 1988.
?The Back Gate? mosaic murals were officially unveiled by the Hon. Robert MacLellan, MLA, Minister for Planning and Local Government, on 5th April 1998. These artworks were recognised as a gift to the people of Melbourne to ?link the present and future of this site to the past?. The murals were inspired by former saleyard workers and features almost life-size portraits of the drovers, dogs and stock that characterised Newmarket Saleyards. The mosaics toured Victoria in 1992-4 prior to being installed in their current position in 1998.
- Colour digital photograph.
- Description Of Content:
- A detailed image of the Newmarket Saleyard mosaics, featuring the almost lifesize scale, placement and overall positioning of mosaics. Image features mosaics of Newmarket Saleyards Melbourne City Council worker Bob Tormey; Elders Auctioneer Bill Hill; drover Bill Clifton and his sheep dog; and a flock of sheep. The title ?Riding on the Sheep's Back? refers to the expression once associated with the prosperity that Australia derived from the wool and sheep industry.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Robert Cutting, 2010
|Tagged with:||artworks, farm animals, agriculture, dogs, markets, urban landscapes, agricultural workers, farming methods, making history - newmarket saleyards|
|Themes this item is part of:||Sustainable Futures Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection, Mosaic Mural at the Newmarket Saleyards Site, The Back Gate at the Newmarket Saleyards, Newmarket Saleyards Poetry 'Newmarket Memories' by Teddy Cooper, 1994, Newmarket Saleyards Poetry 'Reminiscing' by The Stockman's Friend, 1998, Newmarket Collection|
|Primary Classification:||AGRICULTURE & RURAL LIFE|
|Secondary Classification:||Livestock Markets|
|Tertiary Classification:||livestock - sheep|
|Original Caption:||Riding On The Sheep?s Back|
|Format:||Digital Photograph: Colour; Jpeg|
|Place Depicted:||Newmarket Saleyards, Newmarket, Victoria, Australia, 25 Apr 2010|
|Photographer:||Robert Cutting, Newmarket, Victoria, Australia, 25 Apr 2010|
|Artist:||Elizabeth (Libby) McKinnon, Victoria, Australia, 1990-1992|
|Person Named:||Honourable Mr Robert MacLellan, Newmarket, Victoria, Australia, 5 Apr 1998|
|Commissioned By:||Kensington Community Group, Newmarket, Victoria, Australia, 2010|
This item is part of the following themes:
- Sustainable Futures Collection
- Working Life & Trades Collection
- Mosaic Mural at the Newmarket Saleyards Site
- The Back Gate at the Newmarket Saleyards
- Newmarket Saleyards Poetry 'Newmarket Memories' by Teddy Cooper, 1994
- Newmarket Saleyards Poetry 'Reminiscing' by The Stockman's Friend, 1998
- Newmarket Collection