Search the collections
Digital Image - Torpedo Corps Training, Melbourne, circa 1880s Reg. No: MM 112619
- Image showing the Victorian Torpedo Corps at training exercise, probably at Williamstown, circa 1880s.
The Torpedo Corps was established in 1873 to protect Melbourne and Port Philip Bay from enemy ships. The ?torpedoes? were in fact mines that could be detonated at a distance via electrical cables. Robert Ellery, Government Astronomer, was a Major in the Volunteer Forces in charge of the Torpedo Corps.
- Digital image
- Description Of Content:
- Members of the Victorian Torpedo Corps in training to lay a mine or torpedo in Port Phillip Bay.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Barbara Dowling, 2010
|Tagged with:||naval forces, mines|
|Themes this item is part of:||Victorian Volunteer Forces, 1854-1884|
|Primary Classification:||MILITARY HISTORY|
|Secondary Classification:||Engineers Corps|
|Format:||Digital Still Image: Sepia|
|Organisation Depicted:||Victorian Torpedo Corps, Williamstown, Victoria, Australia, circa 1880s|