Search the collections
Similar items over time
Poster - 'What is Happening to Mary MacKillop on 17 October?', Catholic Archdiocese of Melbourne, 2010 Reg. No: HT 27774
- Colour poster promoting the canonisation of Mary MacKillop event held at the Royal Exhibition Building on 17 October 2010. Produced by the Catholic Archdiocese of Melbourne, this poster was used to promote the event for school aged children.
There were several official events held in Melbourne on Sunday 17 October 2010 to celebrate the canonisation, starting with a Mass at 11am at St Patrick's Cathedral in East Melbourne.
- Colour A3 sized poster with a cartoon of a Nun in full habit on a bright orange background.
- Statement Of Significance:
- Mary MacKillop (later to be known as Saint Mary of the Cross MacKillop) became Australia's first saint on Sunday 17 October, 2010. She was canonised by Pope Benedict XVI at a ceremony held at the Vatican in Rome, an event televised live around the world. The process that led to her canonisation had begun a long time before. She died in 1909 and was called a ?saint? by Cardinal Moran on her deathbed, but the formal process did not begin until 1926. This process required, amongst much other evidence, the acceptance by the Vatican of two ?miracles? attributed to her intercession. Although she was born in Victoria, she spent much of her life in New South Wales and South Australia. Her canonisation was a significant event for all Catholic Australians and for the people of Australia more broadly, as she was not only the first Catholic saint but was also a woman. A community event was held at the Royal Exhibition Building (REB) on the day of her canonisation in Rome, and the ceremony was attended by Julia Gillard, Australia's first female Prime Minister. This collection was donated by members of her religious order, the Sisters of St. Joseph, whose mother house is in North Sydney. As well as being a major REB event, the collection has religious, social, public history and local community connections.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Sister Josephine Dubiel - Sisters of St Jospeh of the Sacred Heart
|Dimensions:||417 mm (Height), 296 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||royal exhibition building, religions roman catholic, saints, pilgrims|
|Themes this item is part of:||Public Life & Institutions Collection|
|Secondary Classification:||Christianity - Roman Catholic|
|Inscriptions:||What is happening to / Mary MacKillop / on 17 October? / (she's being made a saint!) / Blessed Mary MacKillop will be / recognised as Australia's first saint / on Sunday 17 October 2010. / There will be a big celebration and / you and your family have been / invited! Ask your teacher for a flyer / and show it to your parents! / See you at the / Royal Exhibition Building / on 17 October at 2pm! / CELEBRATING AUSTRALIA'S FIRST SAINT / MARY MACKILLOP / www.cam.org.au/mackillop|
|Person Commemorated:||Sister Mary MacKillop - Sisters of St Joseph, Oct 2010|
|Place & Date of Event:||Royal Exhibition Building (REB), Carlton, Victoria, Australia, 17 Oct 2010|
|Date of Event:||Rome, Vatican City, Italy, 17 Oct 2010
Place and date of Mary MacKillop's canonisation.