Search the collections
Digital Photograph - Dimka & Vojislav Stojkovic on Board the Ship Protea, 1948 Reg. No: MM 113557
- Black and white image of Dimka and Vojislav Stojkovic on the ship Protea in 1948. Dimka Stojkovic (nee Dimitrinka Nikolova Caraschobanova) was born in Bulgaria in 1919. After long and harrowing wartime experiences in German labour camps, she met her future husband Vojislav Stojkovic, a captured soldier from the former Yugoslavia, now Serbia. They ended up in the same refugee camp in West Germany, and were married there in 1947.
The couple migrated to Melbourne via Naples on the Protea in 1948. They went directly to Bonegilla Migrant Reception Centre in Albury, although they both quickly found work in Melbourne. In 1952 they had a daughter, Nada, and in 1956 another daughter, Lily. They purchased a house in Footscray in the 1950s and took in many boarders, mostly recently arrived migrants. Dimka died in 1998 and Vojislav in 1987.
- Digital image.
- Statement Of Significance:
- This photograph forms part of the Stojkovic family collection which represents the experiences of thousands of displaced persons and refugees from post World War II Europe and their efforts to survive both during the war and afterwards. It also illustrates the challenges faced by these migrants on arrival in Australia as they attempted to begin new lives often with limited English and little support.
- Description Of Content:
- A man and woman standing on the deck of a ship. The woman stands with her hand resting on the rail, wearing a short sleeved blouse, dark skirt with attached wide fabric braces. The man stands on the right, with his arm around the woman, wearing a shirt, vest and trousers. A bollard wound with rope can be seen in the foreground, and the sea in the background,.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Mrs Nada Stojkovic, 2010
|Tagged with:||families, immigration, immigrant voyages, shipping lines, displaced persons, immigrant shipping, shipboard travel, immigration policies, migration settlement, bulgarian communities, bulgarian immigration, brought goods, immigration selection, displaced persons camps, yugoslavian communities, yugoslavian immigration, photo albums|
|Themes this item is part of:||Vojislav Stojkovic, Yugoslavian (Serbian) Migrant, 1948, Dimka Stojkovic, Bulgarian Migrant, 1948, Dimka & Vojislav Stojkovic, Bulgarian & Serbian Migrants, 1948, Images & Image Making Collection, Migration Collection, Transport Collection|
|Secondary Classification:||Travel - Shipboard Life|
|Inscriptions:||Handwritten on reverse of original photograph, pencil: 622|
|Format:||Digital Still Image: Black & White|
|Person Depicted:||Mrs Dimka Stojkovic, 1948|
|Person Depicted:||Mr Vojislav Stojkovic, 1948|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Protea, 1948|
This item is part of the following themes: