Search the collections
Digital Photograph - Sapper Alfred George Finlay Galbraith, World War I, circa 1915 Reg. No: MM 113631
- Digital image (from original print) of World War I sapper Alfred George Finlay Galbraith. It was taken on 21 November 1915, two days before he left Melbourne on the 'Ceramic'. It has been preserved by his family.
Born in Maryborough, Sapper Alfred George Finlay Galbraith was the son of Alfred and Amy C. Galbraith, of W.R. Institute, Flinders Street, Station Buildings, Melbourne. He trained as an electrical engineer and enlisted in the Australian Army at the age of 20, in July 1915. His father gave written permission for him to join 'the Military Forces to serve the Empire abroad' (his mother had already died). Galbraith served in the 5th Division Signalling Company, Australian Engineers, AIF, embarking from Melbourne on 23 November 1915. He went to Egypt for further training, then was shipped to France, disembarking 27 June 1916 at Marseilles. Less than three weeks later, on 15 July, he received a wound in the thigh and a 'penetrating wound in the neck'. He died the same day at the 8th Australian Field Ambulance.
Alfred's distraught father, who blamed himself for allowing his son to go to war, forbade mention of Alfred, and for years could not bear to see a photograph of him.
- Black and white photograph printed on postcard backing.
- Description Of Content:
- Photograph of man standing with right shoulder towards photographer. He wears military uniform, including peaked cap, tunic and long boots with spurs. He holds a riding whip. Behind him is a studio backdrop featuring trees, a meadow and possibly a stream.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Jillian Galbraith, 2011
- Donated by: Jillian Galbraith
|Dimensions:||134 mm (Height), 88 mm (Width)|
|Dimension Comment:||Size of original photograph|
|Tagged with:||wars conflicts, death mourning, world war i 1914-1918, soldiers|
|Themes this item is part of:||Sapper Alfred Galbraith, AIF (1895-1916), Public Life & Institutions Collection|
|Primary Classification:||MILITARY HISTORY|
|Inscriptions:||Hand-written on back in ink (now browned): 'Sapper A.G.L. Galbraith / 3rd Sec. 5th Div. Sig. Coy / A.L.G.F. [?] / 21/11/15'. Printed on back: 'POST CARD / Correspondence / Address Only'.
Stamped on front of image, barely visible: 'La...ghton Studi.o / OPP. STATION [?] / MOONEE PONDS
|Format:||Digital Still Image: Black & White|
|Person Depicted:||Alfred Galbraith, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1915-1916|