Search the collections
Similar items over time
Score - Graeme Leak, 'Ringing the Changes', 2009 Reg. No: HT 28379
- Annotated performer's score for a performance of 'Ringing the Changes', composed by Australian conductor Graeme Leak and performed by Strange Fruit on the Federation Bells at Birrarung Marr. The 25 minute performance in October 2009 was part of the Melbourne International Arts Festival. This score was used by the performer Scott McBurnie.
Strange Fruit is a performing arts company that merges circus, dance and theatre. Based in Melbourne, the company perform on 5 metre high, flexible poles; the swaying motion is reminiscent of fields of wheat swaying in the wind. At the premier performance in 2009, the cast included performers Kelly Alexander, Paul Bourke, George Filev, Scott McBurnie and Nancy Sposato; musicians Leah Scholes and Amy Valent. Percussion director was Sue Broadway, conductor Tim Phillips, choreographer Nancy Sposato, and costume designer Laurel Frank.
Graeme Leak is a Melbourne based composer. He wrote 'Ringing the Changes' for Strange Fruit in 2009.
- Black cardboard cover over white pages printed with notation. Some annotations in black ink throughout score.
- Statement Of Significance:
- 'Ringing the Changes' was written to be played on the Federation Bells at Birrarung Marr in Melbourne. They complement the collection of Federation Handbells acquired by the museum in 2009 (HTA 3441).
The Federation Bells were designed by sculptor Anton Hasell and Swaney Draper Architects. Engineering expertise was provided by Behzad Keramati Nigjeh.
The Federation Bells were commissioned by the State Government of Victoria through the Melbourne Festival in 1998. The Federation Bell project comprised three components:
- The 2001 Federation Handbells
- The Federation Bells (also known as the Field of Bells), a permanent public art work located at Birrarung Marr
- A set of harmonic orchestral bells for the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra
The Federation Bells and Birrarung Marr opened on 26 January (Australia Day) 2002. Seven pieces commissioned especially for the bells were performed at the opening.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Sarah Edwards, 2011
|Dimensions:||150 mm (Height), 106 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||performances, music, festivals, circuses, performers, composers|
|Themes this item is part of:||Public Life & Institutions Collection|
|Primary Classification:||MUSIC & MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS|
|Inscriptions:||Handwritten in white ink at top of cover: D
Printed at top of first page: Ringing the Changes/ Strange Fruit D/ Graeme Leak
Printed at bottom of first page: Copyright GL 2009
|Composer:||Mr Graeme Leak, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 2009|
|Performer:||Strange Fruit, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Oct 2009|