Search the collections
Photograph - Oil Tanker, Palmer Family Migrant Voyage, Port Said, Egypt, 06-07 Mar 1947 Reg. No: MM 117668
- Black and white photograph titled 'Oil Tanker 'Wave Prince', it shows an oil tanker at sea, taken 6-7 March 1947. It is part of a leather-bound photo album created by George Palmer during his migrant voyage from England to Australia on the RMS Orion in 1947. George migrated to Australia with his wife Gertrude and their two daughters, Shirley and Lesley.
The photographs in the album record the Palmers' life in England, their voyage to Australia including ports, daily activities and shipboard views, and their arrival in Melbourne.
- Black and white photograph printed on Kodak Velox photographic paper.
Photograph is positioned at the top of the album page.
- Statement Of Significance:
- This collection provides an invaluable record of one family's migration experience, from the first seed of desire to leave England, to the securing of employment, application processes, packing, departure, journey and immediate arrival in Melbourne. The journal is particularly rich in terms of its detailed account of daily shipboard life, including the descriptions of cabins, decks, interior spaces, facilities, lighting, food, mail systems, weather, ports, and activities. While not the actual original document, it is an immediate copy, contemporary to its time and reflects the significance of this rite of passage for the thousands of migrants who arrived in Australia during the post-war period. The photo album provides an evocative complimentary visual record of the experience.
- Description Of Content:
- Full view of an oil tanker named "Wave Prince". A steam boat can be seen behind the oil tanker.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Libby Wattis, 2008
|Dimensions:||60 mm (Height), 81 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||immigrant voyages, immigrant shipping, travel, migration settlement, english immigration|
|Themes this item is part of:||George Palmer, English Migrant, 1947, Images & Image Making Collection, Migration Collection, Transport Collection|
|Secondary Classification:||Travel - Shipboard Life|
|Inscriptions:||Handwritten in white ink on the top left of the album page:: '6th to 7th March 1947'
Handwritten in white ink above the photograph: 'Port Said'
Handwritten in white ink below the photograph: 'oil tanker "Wave Prince"'
|Format:||Photograph: Black & White|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Port Said, Egypt, 06 Mar 1947 - 07 Mar 1947|