Search the collections
Photograph - Children's Fancy Dress Party, Palmer Family Migrant Voyage, RMS Orion, Indian Ocean, Mar 1947 Reg. No: MM 117700
- Black and white photograph titled 'Children's Fancy Dress Party', it shows the Palmer and Godfrey children in fancy dress on the RMS Orion, taken March 1947. It is part of a leather-bound photo album created by George Palmer during his migrant voyage from England to Australia on the RMS Orion in 1947. George migrated to Australia with his wife Gertrude and their two daughters, Shirley and Lesley.
The photographs in the album record the Palmers' life in England, their voyage to Australia including ports, daily activities and shipboard views, and their arrival in Melbourne.
- Black and white photograph printed on Kodak Velox photographic paper.
Photograph is positioned at the top right of the album page.
- Statement Of Significance:
- This collection provides an invaluable record of one family's migration experience, from the first seed of desire to leave England, to the securing of employment, application processes, packing, departure, journey and immediate arrival in Melbourne. The journal is particularly rich in terms of its detailed account of daily shipboard life, including the descriptions of cabins, decks, interior spaces, facilities, lighting, food, mail systems, weather, ports, and activities. While not the actual original document, it is an immediate copy, contemporary to its time and reflects the significance of this rite of passage for the thousands of migrants who arrived in Australia during the post-war period. The photo album provides an evocative complimentary visual record of the experience.
- Description Of Content:
- Four children in fancy dress costume on board RMS Orion. Pictured left to right is Jennifer Godfrey dressed as Columbine, Shirley Palmer a pirate, Lesley Palmer a poppy and Shirley Godfrey as Miss Orion 1947. Lesley, holding the number 57, had won first prize.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Libby Wattis, 2008
|Dimensions:||60 mm (Height), 85 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||immigrant voyages, children, immigrant shipping, fancy dress, travel, migration settlement, english immigration|
|Themes this item is part of:||George Palmer, English Migrant, 1947, Images & Image Making Collection, Migration Collection, Transport Collection|
|Secondary Classification:||Travel - Shipboard Life|
|Inscriptions:||Handwritten in white ink along the top of the album page: 'Children's Fancy Dress Party'
Handwritten in white ink below the photograph: 'Lesley - 1st prize.'
|Format:||Photograph: Black & White|
|Place & Date Depicted:||., Indian Ocean, Mar 1947|
|Person Depicted:||Miss Shirley Palmer, Mar 1947|
|Person Depicted:||Miss Lesley Palmer, Mar 1947|
|Person Depicted:||Miss Jennifer Godfrey, Mar 1947|
|Person Depicted:||Miss Shirley Godfrey, Mar 1947|