Search the collections
Medal - 'Fish Feeding', Michael Meszaros, Victoria, Australia, 1981 Reg. No: NU 48457
- Bronze art medal titled 'Fish Feeding' by Melbourne sculptor Michael Meszaros, 1981. In this work, Meszaros sought to 'make the bronze transparent', as he depicted both the fish below the surface of the water and the ripples caused when it comes to the surface.
- A fish overlaid with concentric circles.
- Statement Of Significance:
- This is one of 44 art medals in the Museum's collection by Michael Meszaros, dated from 1960 through to 1987, which chart the evolution of a new phase of the medal tradition in Australia. While Australian medals have previously largely been commissioned works associated with official commemorations or major awards, these are personal artworks. In addition to their aesthetic value, they document nearly two decades of Australian life from a personal and popular point of view, drawing on cultural trends, sporting and leisure, and emerging issues such as environmentalism. This is a modern development in Australia, but it harks back to the European tradition, developed in the Renaissance, of medals as artistic works.
For over half a century, sculptors Andor (1900-1973) and Michael (1945- ) Meszaros have created medals that reflect the high points of life in Australia. From major awards and portraits of eminent Australians to artwork celebrating popular culture and the natural world, these objects illuminate our culture and history. Grounded in a centuries-old European art tradition, the medals create connections across disciplines and link such diverse subjects as scientific advances, religious themes, sport, the performing arts and motherhood. Through their public and private commissions and their personal artworks, the Meszaros sculptors have defined the modern Australian medal.
- Acquisition Information:
- Cultural Gifts Donation from Jennifer Shaw, 2011
- Donated through the Australian Government's Cultural Gifts Program by Jennifer M. Shaw
|Tagged with:||art, art medals, artistic practices, sculpture, fish|
|Themes this item is part of:||Michael Meszaros, Sculptor & Medal Artist (1945-), Andor Mészáros, Medal Artist (1900-1972), Numismatics & Philately Collection, Sustainable Futures Collection, Meszaros Medals Collection|
|Obverse Description:||A fish overlaid with concentric circles.|
|Artist:||Michael Meszaros, Kew, Victoria, Australia, 1981|