Search the collections
Postcard - Botanical Gardens and Government House, Melbourne, To Nettie Scott from Marion Flinn, Melbourne, 27 Jan 1904 Reg. No: HT 29003
- Full colour postcard featuring image of Government House in the Botanical Gardens in Melbourne. Postcard titled 'Botannical (sic) Gardens and Government House' and inscribed by Marion Flinn on 27 January 1904.
It is one of sixty seven postcards dated from the 5 January 1904 to 16 April 1907, all addressed to James Baird Scott and his family living in Paisley, Scotland. Fifty three of the cards are sent from Victoria, Australia, by Marion Flinn and her family and feature Melbourne landmarks and suburbs, scenes from Victoria and New South Wales. Fourteen postcards are sent from various international locations including South Africa, Nigeria, India, Singapore and western Europe apparently by extended members of James Baird's family either holidaying or working.
- Colour postcard, with round image of Botanical gardens and Government House, Melbourne. Hand writing under the image. Reverse side with hand written address and date stamps and stamp. One stamp was removed. Postcard belongs to the Sole Agent J. Reichardt postcard series.
- Statement Of Significance:
- This collection of early 20th century postcards provides an invaluable pictorial record of urban and rural landscapes in Melbourne,Victoria and New South Wales. It also captures the social and political attitudes and observations of one Melbourne family, relating to domestic and social life, literature, politics, and Australian culture. Themes such as nationalism, the postiion of women and prejudices surrounding Aboriginal Australians, global shipping and communication are also referenced by both the visual iconography and the commentary on the postcards.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Moreen Shields, 2011
|Dimensions:||90 mm (Height), 138 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||gardens, postcards, correspondence, scottish communities, scottish immigration, urban landscapes, government house victoria|
|Themes this item is part of:||Marion Scott Flinn, Second Generation Scottish Migrant, Domestic & Community Life Collection, Images & Image Making Collection, Information & Communication Collection, Leisure Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection|
|Inscriptions:||Printed: Botannical Gardens and Government House. Melbourne
Handwritten text: 19.1.04
'My dear Anna, I shall not spoil this card by writing all over it. These two were explorers and died of starvation away far inland many years ago. Cousin Marion.'
Miss Anna Scott
No. 3 Macintyre Place
|Sender:||Marion Flinn, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 27 Jan 1904|
|Addressed To:||Nettie Scott, Scotland, 27 Jan 1904|
This item is part of the following themes: