Search the collections
Postcard - Post Office, Melbourne, To Nettie Scott from Marion Flinn, Melbourne, 23 Feb 1904 Reg. No: HT 29007
- Full colour postcard featuring image of Post Office Melbourne and includes a handwritten message.
It is one of sixty seven postcards dated from the 5 January 1904 to 16 April 1907, all addressed to James Baird Scott and his family living in Paisley, Scotland. Fifty three of the cards are sent from Victoria, Australia, by Marion Flinn and her family and feature Melbourne landmarks and suburbs, scenes from Victoria and New South Wales. Fourteen postcards are sent from various international locations including South Africa, Nigeria, India, Singapore and western Europe apparently by extended members of James Baird's family either holidaying or working.
- Colour postcard, with image of Post Office Melbourne. Hand writing under the image. Reverse side with hand written address, date stamps and stamps. Postcard belongs to the Sole Agent J. Reichardt postcard series.
- Statement Of Significance:
- This collection of early 20th century postcards provides an invaluable pictorial record of urban and rural landscapes in Melbourne,Victoria and New South Wales. It also captures the social and political attitudes and observations of one Melbourne family, relating to domestic and social life, literature, politics, and Australian culture. Themes such as nationalism, the postiion of women and prejudices surrounding Aboriginal Australians, global shipping and communication are also referenced by both the visual iconography and the commentary on the postcards.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Moreen Shields, 2011
|Dimensions:||138 mm (Height), 90 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||buildings, postcards, correspondence, scottish communities, scottish immigration, urban landscapes, post offices, melbourne landmarks|
|Themes this item is part of:||Marion Scott Flinn, Second Generation Scottish Migrant, Domestic & Community Life Collection, Images & Image Making Collection, Information & Communication Collection, Leisure Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection|
|Inscriptions:||Printed: Post Office. Melbourne
Handwritten text: 23.2.1904
'My dear Nettie - I heard about a dear little watch you got for your birthday so I thought it a good idea to send the G.P.O. clock to keep yours right. Fancy- January is my birth month - the 15th. What day is yours? Love to all from Marion'
Miss Nettie Scott
No. 3. Mc Intyre Place
|Sender:||Marion Flinn, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 23 Feb 1904|
|Addressed To:||Nettie Scott, Scotland, 23 Feb 1904|
This item is part of the following themes: