Search the collections
Postcard - A Summer Evening by J. A. Turner, To J. B. Scott from Marion Flinn, Melbourne, 27 Apr 1904 Reg. No: HT 29014
- Postcard featuring colour image of the painting A Summer Evening by J. A. Turner showing a rural landscape. The postcard also includes a handwritten message.
It is one of sixty seven postcards dated from the 5 January 1904 to 16 April 1907, all addressed to James Baird Scott and his family living in Paisley, Scotland. Fifty three of the cards are sent from Victoria, Australia, by Marion Flinn and her family and feature Melbourne landmarks and suburbs, scenes from Victoria and New South Wales. Fourteen postcards are sent from various international locations including South Africa, Nigeria, India, Singapore and western Europe apparently by extended members of James Baird's family either holidaying or working.
- Colour postcard, with image of the painting A Summer Evening by J. A. Turner. Hand writing under the image. Reverse side with hand written address and date stamps. One of the two stamps was removed.
- Statement Of Significance:
- This collection of early 20th century postcards provides an invaluable pictorial record of urban and rural landscapes in Melbourne,Victoria and New South Wales. It also captures the social and political attitudes and observations of one Melbourne family, relating to domestic and social life, literature, politics, and Australian culture. Themes such as nationalism, the postiion of women and prejudices surrounding Aboriginal Australians, global shipping and communication are also referenced by both the visual iconography and the commentary on the postcards.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Moreen Shields, 2011
|Dimensions:||88 mm (Height), 138 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||postcards, paintings, correspondence, bridges, scottish communities, scottish immigration, rivers, rural landscapes|
|Themes this item is part of:||Marion Scott Flinn, Second Generation Scottish Migrant, Domestic & Community Life Collection, Images & Image Making Collection, Information & Communication Collection, Leisure Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection|
|Inscriptions:||Printed: A Summer Evening
Handwritten text: E. Melbourne 27.4.04
'My Dear Cousin - You will be feeling as tired after your flitting, that I send you a quiet little spot where you may rest awhile - your loving cousin Marion Flinn'
Mr J. B. Scott
|Sender:||Marion Flinn, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 27 Apr 1904|
|Addressed To:||Mr James Scott, paisley, Scotland, 27 Apr 1904|
This item is part of the following themes: