Search the collections
Postcard - St. Kilda Road, Melbourne, To J. B. Scott from Marion Flinn, Melbourne, 23 Nov 1904 Reg. No: HT 29034
- Postcard featuring sepia image of view on St. Kilda road in Melbourne and includes a handwritten message.
It is one of sixty seven postcards dated from the 5 January 1904 to 16 April 1907, all addressed to James Baird Scott and his family living in Paisley, Scotland. Fifty three of the cards are sent from Victoria, Australia, by Marion Flinn and her family and feature Melbourne landmarks and suburbs, scenes from Victoria and New South Wales. Fourteen postcards are sent from various international locations including South Africa, Nigeria, India, Singapore and western Europe apparently by extended members of James Baird's family either holidaying or working.
- Sepia postcard, with image of St. Kilda Road, Melbourne. Hand writing around and on parts of the image. Reverse side with hand written address and parts of date stamp. Stamps were removed.
- Statement Of Significance:
- This collection of early 20th century postcards provides an invaluable pictorial record of urban and rural landscapes in Melbourne,Victoria and New South Wales. It also captures the social and political attitudes and observations of one Melbourne family, relating to domestic and social life, literature, politics, and Australian culture. Themes such as nationalism, the postiion of women and prejudices surrounding Aboriginal Australians, global shipping and communication are also referenced by both the visual iconography and the commentary on the postcards.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Moreen Shields, 2011
|Dimensions:||90 mm (Height), 140 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||trams, postcards, correspondence, scottish communities, scottish immigration, urban landscapes, streetscapes, melbourne landmarks, streets|
|Themes this item is part of:||Marion Scott Flinn, Second Generation Scottish Migrant, Domestic & Community Life Collection, Images & Image Making Collection, Information & Communication Collection, Leisure Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection|
|Inscriptions:||Printed: St Kilda Road, Melbourne.
Handwritten text: Melbourne 23.11.1904
'My dear Cousin, This week's mail bought no cards from you so I consoled myself by reading all the previous ones! and was quite happy. I only hope you are not ill or any of your family and that it was nothing more serious than an extra busy week with you. Glad to say we are all very well up to our eyes getting ready for our holiday which after a solemn conclave we have decided at spending at the seaside and with the comforts of a house instead of the changeable joys of tent life. So after you have read this think of us so happy all together and wishing you the Xmas joys that we are enjoying. with much love from Marion.'
Mr J. B. Scott
|Sender:||Marion Flinn, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 23 Nov 1904|
|Addressed To:||Mr James Scott, Paisley, Scotland, 23 Nov 1904|
This item is part of the following themes: