Search the collections
Postcard - Lake, Botanical Gardens, Melbourne, To J. B. Scott from Marion Flinn, Melbourne, 20 Dec 1904 Reg. No: HT 29037
- Postcard featuring black and white image of lake in the Botanical Gardens in Melbourne and includes a handwritten message.
It is one of sixty seven postcards dated from the 5 January 1904 to 16 April 1907, all addressed to James Baird Scott and his family living in Paisley, Scotland. Fifty three of the cards are sent from Victoria, Australia, by Marion Flinn and her family and feature Melbourne landmarks and suburbs, scenes from Victoria and New South Wales. Fourteen postcards are sent from various international locations including South Africa, Nigeria, India, Singapore and western Europe apparently by extended members of James Baird's family either holidaying or working.
- Black and white postcard, with image of lake at the Botanical Gardens, Melbourne. Hand writing around image. Reverse side with hand written address and parts of date stamp. One of the two stamps was removed.
- Statement Of Significance:
- This collection of early 20th century postcards provides an invaluable pictorial record of urban and rural landscapes in Melbourne,Victoria and New South Wales. It also captures the social and political attitudes and observations of one Melbourne family, relating to domestic and social life, literature, politics, and Australian culture. Themes such as nationalism, the postiion of women and prejudices surrounding Aboriginal Australians, global shipping and communication are also referenced by both the visual iconography and the commentary on the postcards.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Moreen Shields, 2011
|Dimensions:||85 mm (Height), 140 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||gardens, postcards, correspondence, bridges, scottish communities, scottish immigration, lakes, government house victoria, melbourne landmarks|
|Themes this item is part of:||Marion Scott Flinn, Second Generation Scottish Migrant, Domestic & Community Life Collection, Images & Image Making Collection, Information & Communication Collection, Leisure Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection|
|Inscriptions:||Printed: Lake, Botanical Gardens.
Handwritten text: Melbourne 20.12.04
'My dear Cousin, Have stopped in the middle of packing to thank you so much for your dear cards of two weeks. Was so sorry I could not send last week. but I felt you would understand. Shall be quite tranquil next week & make amends- With much love to your Agnes & Jimmie your loving cousin Marion.'
Mr J. B. Scott
|Sender:||Marion Flinn, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 20 Dec 1904|
|Addressed To:||Mr James Scott, Paisley, Scotland, 20 Dec 1904|
This item is part of the following themes: