Search the collections
Postcard - Corner of Elizabeth and Collins Streets, Melbourne, To Nettie Scott from Marion Flinn, Melbourne, 17 Apr 1906 Reg. No: HT 29043
- Postcard featuring sepia image of street scene on the corner of Elizabeth and Collins Streets. Postcard also includes a handwritten message.
It is one of sixty seven postcards dated from the 5 January 1904 to 16 April 1907, all addressed to James Baird Scott and his family living in Paisley, Scotland. Fifty three of the cards are sent from Victoria, Australia, by Marion Flinn and her family and feature Melbourne landmarks and suburbs, scenes from Victoria and New South Wales. Fourteen postcards are sent from various international locations including South Africa, Nigeria, India, Singapore and western Europe apparently by extended members of James Baird's family either holidaying or working.
- Sepia postcard, with image of corner of Elizabeth and Collins Street, Melbourne. Hand writing around image. Reverse side with hand written address and date stamps. Stamp was removed.
- Statement Of Significance:
- This collection of early 20th century postcards provides an invaluable pictorial record of urban and rural landscapes in Melbourne,Victoria and New South Wales. It also captures the social and political attitudes and observations of one Melbourne family, relating to domestic and social life, literature, politics, and Australian culture. Themes such as nationalism, the postiion of women and prejudices surrounding Aboriginal Australians, global shipping and communication are also referenced by both the visual iconography and the commentary on the postcards.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Moreen Shields, 2011
|Dimensions:||140 mm (Height), 87 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||buildings, trams, postcards, correspondence, scottish communities, scottish immigration, shopping, urban landscapes, streetscapes, melbourne landmarks, streets|
|Themes this item is part of:||Marion Scott Flinn, Second Generation Scottish Migrant, Domestic & Community Life Collection, Images & Image Making Collection, Information & Communication Collection, Leisure Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection|
|Inscriptions:||Printed:Corner of Elizabeth and Collins Streets.
Handwritten text: E. Melbourne 31.1.1905
'My dear Nettie I don't think you have this corner of Collins st in your collection. I saw it in a window and got it at once for you. Tell Papa I am sending him one but will not spoil the lovely views with any words. Tell him it is a perfect picture of our street - and of the exquisite clear air and sky in our land. I often think of your plugging away at your new lessons. Sometimes they are very nice and sometimes they are horrid, don't you think? With my best love, Marion P.S. We are all very well indeed.'
Miss Nettie Scott
|Sender:||Marion Flinn, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 17 Apr 1906|
|Addressed To:||Nettie Scott, Scotland, 17 Apr 1906|
This item is part of the following themes: