Search the collections
Postcard - Kaligurnia Bay, Lake Tyers, Gippsland, To J. B. Scott from Marion Flinn, Paisley, 1 Sep 1906 Reg. No: HT 29044
- Postcard featuring colour image of Lake Tyres at Kaligurnia Bay in Gippsland.
It is one of sixty seven postcards dated from the 5 January 1904 to 16 April 1907, all addressed to James Baird Scott and his family living in Paisley, Scotland. Fifty three of the cards are sent from Victoria, Australia, by Marion Flinn and her family and feature Melbourne landmarks and suburbs, scenes from Victoria and New South Wales. Fourteen postcards are sent from various international locations including South Africa, Nigeria, India, Singapore and western Europe apparently by extended members of James Baird's family either holidaying or working.
- Colour postcard, with image of Kaligurnia Bay and Lake Tyers. Reverse side with hand written address and date stamps. One of the two stamps was removed. Postcard belongs to the "the Shell" Landscape Series Post Cards.
- Statement Of Significance:
- This collection of early 20th century postcards provides an invaluable pictorial record of urban and rural landscapes in Melbourne,Victoria and New South Wales. It also captures the social and political attitudes and observations of one Melbourne family, relating to domestic and social life, literature, politics, and Australian culture. Themes such as nationalism, the postiion of women and prejudices surrounding Aboriginal Australians, global shipping and communication are also referenced by both the visual iconography and the commentary on the postcards.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Moreen Shields, 2011
|Dimensions:||88 mm (Height), 139 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||postcards, rural victoria, correspondence, scottish communities, scottish immigration, lakes, rural landscapes, bushland, bays|
|Themes this item is part of:||Marion Scott Flinn, Second Generation Scottish Migrant, Domestic & Community Life Collection, Images & Image Making Collection, Information & Communication Collection, Leisure Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection|
|Inscriptions:||Printed: Kaligurnia Bay, Lake Tyres, Gippsland.
Mr Jas. B. Scott
|Sender:||Marion Flinn, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1 Sep 1906|
|Addressed To:||Mr James Scott, Paisley, Scotland, 1 Sep 1906|
This item is part of the following themes: