Search the collections
Similar items over time
Postcard - The Law Courts, Melbourne, To J. B. Scott from Marion Flinn, Melbourne, 25 Jul 1906 Reg. No: HT 29045
- Postcard featuring sepia image of Law Courts building in Melbourne and includes a handwritten message.
It is one of sixty seven postcards dated from the 5 January 1904 to 16 April 1907, all addressed to James Baird Scott and his family living in Paisley, Scotland. Fifty three of the cards are sent from Victoria, Australia, by Marion Flinn and her family and feature Melbourne landmarks and suburbs, scenes from Victoria and New South Wales. Fourteen postcards are sent from various international locations including South Africa, Nigeria, India, Singapore and western Europe apparently by extended members of James Baird's family either holidaying or working.
- Sepia postcard, with image of the Law Courts, Melbourne. Hand writing under image. Reverse side with hand written address and date stamps. Stamp was removed.
- Statement Of Significance:
- This collection of early 20th century postcards provides an invaluable pictorial record of urban and rural landscapes in Melbourne,Victoria and New South Wales. It also captures the social and political attitudes and observations of one Melbourne family, relating to domestic and social life, literature, politics, and Australian culture. Themes such as nationalism, the postiion of women and prejudices surrounding Aboriginal Australians, global shipping and communication are also referenced by both the visual iconography and the commentary on the postcards.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Moreen Shields, 2011
|Dimensions:||88 mm (Height), 140 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||buildings, postcards, correspondence, scottish communities, scottish immigration, melbourne landmarks, law courts|
|Themes this item is part of:||Marion Scott Flinn, Second Generation Scottish Migrant, Domestic & Community Life Collection, Images & Image Making Collection, Information & Communication Collection, Leisure Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection|
|Inscriptions:||Printed: The Law Courts, Melbourne.
Handwritten text: Melbourne 25. July 1906.
'Dearest Cousin, How are you all? Is Agnes any improved since you wrote. I am thinking of her always and send my kindest love and wishes. Yours most truly. M. Flinn.'
Mr J. B. Scott
|Sender:||Marion Flinn, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 25 Jul 1906|
|Addressed To:||Mr James Scott, Paisley, Scotland, 25 Jul 1906|
This item is part of the following themes: