Search the collections
Postcard - Australian Aborigine, "A Chief", To Nettie Scott from Janet Flinn, Melbourne, 9 Apr 1907 Reg. No: HT 29048
- Postcard featuring colour image of an Aboriginal "chief" with ornaments and includes a handwritten message.
It is one of sixty seven postcards dated from the 5 January 1904 to 16 April 1907, all addressed to James Baird Scott and his family living in Paisley, Scotland. Fifty three of the cards are sent from Victoria, Australia, by Marion Flinn and her family and feature Melbourne landmarks and suburbs, scenes from Victoria and New South Wales. Fourteen postcards are sent from various international locations including South Africa, Nigeria, India, Singapore and western Europe apparently by extended members of James Baird's family either holidaying or working.
- Colour postcard, with image of Australian Aboriginal chief with headdress, necklaces and transfixed nose. Hand writing under the image. Reverse side with hand written address, date stamps and stamp.
- Statement Of Significance:
- This collection of early 20th century postcards provides an invaluable pictorial record of urban and rural landscapes in Melbourne,Victoria and New South Wales. It also captures the social and political attitudes and observations of one Melbourne family, relating to domestic and social life, literature, politics, and Australian culture. Themes such as nationalism, the postiion of women and prejudices surrounding Aboriginal Australians, global shipping and communication are also referenced by both the visual iconography and the commentary on the postcards.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Moreen Shields, 2011
|Dimensions:||138 mm (Height), 88 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||aboriginal depictions, postcards, aboriginal people, correspondence, scottish communities, scottish immigration, decorations|
|Themes this item is part of:||Marion Scott Flinn, Second Generation Scottish Migrant, Domestic & Community Life Collection, Images & Image Making Collection, Information & Communication Collection, Leisure Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection, Objects & Cultural Stereotypes in Museum Victoria Collections|
|Inscriptions:||Printed: Australian Aboriginal - "A Chief"
Handwritten text: E. Melbourne 9.4.07
'My dear Nettie, I must thank you for two cards, one a very pretty view of your river. We spent our Easter holidays out of town but we are all back at work again. With love from Janet.'
Miss Nettie Scott
|Sender:||Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 9 Apr 1907
From Janet Flinn
|Addressed To:||Nettie Scott, Scotland, 9 Apr 1907|
This item is part of the following themes: