Search the collections
Postcard - Bourke Street, Melbourne, To Anna Scott from Dorothy Flinn, circa 1904-1907 Reg. No: HT 29049
- Postcard featuring colour image of street scene with view towards Parliament building on Bourke Street in Melbourne. The postcard also includes image of a tram and a handwritten message.
It is one of sixty seven postcards dated from the 5 January 1904 to 16 April 1907, all addressed to James Baird Scott and his family living in Paisley, Scotland. Fifty three of the cards are sent from Victoria, Australia, by Marion Flinn and her family and feature Melbourne landmarks and suburbs, scenes from Victoria and New South Wales. Fourteen postcards are sent from various international locations including South Africa, Nigeria, India, Singapore and western Europe apparently by extended members of James Baird's family either holidaying or working.
- Colour postcard, with image of Bourke Street, Melbourne. The image shows a street scene with trams and horse carriages. Hand writing under image. Reverse side with hand written address and date stamps. Stamps were removed.
- Statement Of Significance:
- This collection of early 20th century postcards provides an invaluable pictorial record of urban and rural landscapes in Melbourne,Victoria and New South Wales. It also captures the social and political attitudes and observations of one Melbourne family, relating to domestic and social life, literature, politics, and Australian culture. Themes such as nationalism, the postiion of women and prejudices surrounding Aboriginal Australians, global shipping and communication are also referenced by both the visual iconography and the commentary on the postcards.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Moreen Shields, 2011
|Dimensions:||89 mm (Height), 138 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||buildings, trams, postcards, correspondence, scottish communities, scottish immigration, urban landscapes, parliament houses, streetscapes, melbourne landmarks, streets, horsedrawn vehicles|
|Themes this item is part of:||Marion Scott Flinn, Second Generation Scottish Migrant, Domestic & Community Life Collection, Images & Image Making Collection, Information & Communication Collection, Leisure Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection|
|Inscriptions:||Printed: Bourke Street, Melbourne. Robert Jolley, Melb.
'My dear Anna I liked your card very much. it is a bigger school then ours. We have holidays and I stayed with Auntie 5 days Your loving cousin Dorothy Flinn'
Miss Anna Scott
3 McIntyre Place
|Sender:||Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1900s
From Dorothy Flinn
|Addressed To:||Anna Scott, Scotland, 1900s|
This item is part of the following themes: