Search the collections
Postcard - Government Hill from Duketown, Old Calabar, To J. B. Scott from Bob, Old Calabar, 2 Feb 1903 Reg. No: HT 29051
- Postcard featuring black and white image of different style houses at Government Hill from Duketown in Old Calabar and includes a handwritten message.
It is one of sixty seven postcards dated from the 5 January 1904 to 16 April 1907, all addressed to James Baird Scott and his family living in Paisley, Scotland. Fifty three of the cards are sent from Victoria, Australia, by Marion Flinn and her family and feature Melbourne landmarks and suburbs, scenes from Victoria and New South Wales. Fourteen postcards are sent from various international locations including South Africa, Nigeria, India, Singapore and western Europe apparently by extended members of James Baird's family either holidaying or working.
- Black and white postcard, with image of Government Hill from Duketown, Calabar. Hand writing around image. Reverse side with hand written address and parts of date stamp. Stamp was removed.
- Statement Of Significance:
- This collection of early 20th century postcards provides an invaluable pictorial record of urban and rural landscapes in Melbourne,Victoria and New South Wales. It also captures the social and political attitudes and observations of one Melbourne family, relating to domestic and social life, literature, politics, and Australian culture. Themes such as nationalism, the postiion of women and prejudices surrounding Aboriginal Australians, global shipping and communication are also referenced by both the visual iconography and the commentary on the postcards.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Moreen Shields, 2011
|Dimensions:||88 mm (Height), 137 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||postcards, correspondence, scottish communities, scottish immigration, huts, rural landscapes, governments|
|Themes this item is part of:||Marion Scott Flinn, Second Generation Scottish Migrant, Domestic & Community Life Collection, Images & Image Making Collection, Information & Communication Collection, Leisure Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection|
|Inscriptions:||Printed:Government Hill from Duketown, Old Calabar
Handwritten text: 2/2/03
'My new head-quarters. Full particulars to be had on applying to Mr A. Gibson, at the P/circle in Hope Hall, every Monday at 7 pm. prompt. Love to all. 'specially Jim. Bob. Itu. Cross River Southern Nigeria W. Africa.'
J B Scott Esq
|Sender:||Nigeria, 2 Feb 1903
|Addressed To:||Mr James Scott, Paisley, Scotland, 2 Feb 1903|
This item is part of the following themes: