Search the collections
Postcard - Le Boulevard Maritime, Dieppe, France, circa 1904-1907 Reg. No: HT 29057
- Postcard featuring sepia image of sea side promenade in Dieppe.
It is one of sixty seven postcards dated from the 5 January 1904 to 16 April 1907, all addressed to James Baird Scott and his family living in Paisley, Scotland. Fifty three of the cards are sent from Victoria, Australia, by Marion Flinn and her family and feature Melbourne landmarks and suburbs, scenes from Victoria and New South Wales. Fourteen postcards are sent from various international locations including South Africa, Nigeria, India, Singapore and western Europe apparently by extended members of James Baird's family either holidaying or working.
- Black and white postcard, with image of seafront in Dieppe. Reverse side with hand writing, hand written address and date stamps. Stamp was removed.
- Statement Of Significance:
- This collection of early 20th century postcards provides an invaluable pictorial record of urban and rural landscapes in Melbourne,Victoria and New South Wales. It also captures the social and political attitudes and observations of one Melbourne family, relating to domestic and social life, literature, politics, and Australian culture. Themes such as nationalism, the postiion of women and prejudices surrounding Aboriginal Australians, global shipping and communication are also referenced by both the visual iconography and the commentary on the postcards.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Moreen Shields, 2011
|Dimensions:||86 mm (Height), 138 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||beaches, postcards, civic life, correspondence, scottish communities, scottish immigration, coastal landscapes, coastlines|
|Themes this item is part of:||Marion Scott Flinn, Second Generation Scottish Migrant, Domestic & Community Life Collection, Images & Image Making Collection, Information & Communication Collection, Leisure Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection|
|Inscriptions:||Printed: Dieppe. - Le Boulevard Maritime. - LL.l
'Hotel Terminus Paies. Having a lovely time so far. The ? was quite delightful - We leave tomorrow morning (W.b.) for Lucerne - Kindest regards. E. Ross.
12 Hillview Terrace.
|Place & Date Depicted:||Dieppe, Upper Normandy, France, circa 1900|
|Sender:||Paris, France, 1900s
From E. Ross
|Addressed To:||Mr James Scott, Scotland, 1900s|
This item is part of the following themes: