Search the collections
Postcard - A village in Bombay Presideney, To Anna Scott From Willie, circa 1904 - 1907 Reg. No: HT 29063
- Postcard featuring black and white image of villagers at village well in Bombay, India and includes a handwritten message.
It is one of sixty seven postcards dated from the 5 January 1904 to 16 April 1907, all addressed to James Baird Scott and his family living in Paisley, Scotland. Fifty three of the cards are sent from Victoria, Australia, by Marion Flinn and her family and feature Melbourne landmarks and suburbs, scenes from Victoria and New South Wales. Fourteen postcards are sent from various international locations including South Africa, Nigeria, India, Singapore and western Europe apparently by extended members of James Baird's family either holidaying or working.
- Black and white postcard, with image of a village in Bombay Presideney. Image depicts villagers getting water from the well. Hand writing under image. Reverse side with hand written address and date stamp. Stamp was removed.
- Statement Of Significance:
- This collection of early 20th century postcards provides an invaluable pictorial record of urban and rural landscapes in Melbourne,Victoria and New South Wales. It also captures the social and political attitudes and observations of one Melbourne family, relating to domestic and social life, literature, politics, and Australian culture. Themes such as nationalism, the postiion of women and prejudices surrounding Aboriginal Australians, global shipping and communication are also referenced by both the visual iconography and the commentary on the postcards.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Moreen Shields, 2011
|Dimensions:||91 mm (Height), 139 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||postcards, houses, correspondence, scottish communities, scottish immigration, fountains, rural landscapes, people|
|Themes this item is part of:||Marion Scott Flinn, Second Generation Scottish Migrant, Domestic & Community Life Collection, Images & Image Making Collection, Information & Communication Collection, Leisure Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection|
|Inscriptions:||Printed: A village in Bombay Presideney. The Phototype Coy. Bombay.
'This is a picture of the village well in India. How would you like to carry the water on your head likle these people? From your Uncle Willie'
Miss Anna Scott
|Addressed To:||Anna Scott, Scotland, 1900s|
This item is part of the following themes: