Search the collections
Brochure - Rupertswood Estate, Sunbury, Victoria, 1926 Reg. No: HT 29066
- An illustrated brochure produced for the sale of the Rupertswood homestead and property under instructions from the Trustees in the Estate of the late Hugh Victor McKay by W.S. Keast, Stock & Station Agent. The sale took place on Thursday 11th November 1926 at Scott's Hotel, Melbourne. The brochure contains photographic images of the homestead, buildings and land.
This item is part of a collection of photographs, negatives, moving film, artefacts, documents and trade literature belonging to the H. V. McKay Sunshine Collection. The McKay collection is regarded as one of the most significant industrial heritage collections in Australia. The collection relates to the agricultural manufacturing firm, the Sunshine Harvester Works. The Australian operations of this company were originally founded by Hugh V. McKay in the 1890s in Ballarat. Between 1906 and 1907, McKay moved production to Sunshine where the firm became one of the largest industrial businesses in Australia. Change in ownership is a recurring theme in the company?s history. In 1930, it merged with Massey-Harris to become H.V McKay Massey Harris. In the mid-1950s, the company was absorbed by Canadian agricultural firm Massey-Ferguson. Production in Sunshine ceased in the mid-1980s, following almost 100 years of manufacturing agricultural equipment.
- An 11 page, landscape format booklet, bound with string. Cover is brown textured card with brown printed script on front cover. White pages with text printed in brown ink. Photographic images are printed in a sepia tone. Handwritten text in pencil in top right corner of front cover.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Mrs Cecil Newton McKay (nee Shaw)
|Dimensions:||235 mm (Height), 292 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||homes, real estate, auctions|
|Themes this item is part of:||Rupertswood Estate, Sunbury, Victoria, H.V. McKay Sunshine Collection, The Sunshine Harvester Works, Sunshine, Victoria, Australia, Hugh V. McKay, Agricultural Implement & Machinery Manufacturer, Ballarat & Sunshine, Victoria, H.V. McKay Massey Harris Pty Ltd, Agricultural Equipment Manufacturers & Importers, Sunshine, Victoria, Domestic & Community Life Collection, Sustainable Futures Collection|
|Primary Classification:||COMMERCE & RETAILING|
|Secondary Classification:||Real Estate|
|Tertiary Classification:||promotional materials|
|Inscriptions:||Front cover: " Rupertswood / Estate / SUNBURY / VICTORIA "
Handwritten, pencil: " 10/10 / Series B "
|Place & Date Depicted:||Sunbury, Victoria, Australia, 1926|
|Place & Date of Event:||Scotts Hotel, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 11 Nov 1926|
|Person Named:||Mr Hugh McKay|
This item is part of the following themes:
- Rupertswood Estate, Sunbury, Victoria
- H.V. McKay Sunshine Collection
- The Sunshine Harvester Works, Sunshine, Victoria, Australia
- Hugh V. McKay, Agricultural Implement & Machinery Manufacturer, Ballarat & Sunshine, Victoria
- H.V. McKay Massey Harris Pty Ltd, Agricultural Equipment Manufacturers & Importers, Sunshine, Victoria
- Domestic & Community Life Collection
- Sustainable Futures Collection