Search the collections
Business Card - Michael Attardi, Taxi Driver, 30 Jan 1961 Reg. No: HT 29091
- Taxi driver business card issued to Michael (Mike, Michele) Attardi, dated 30th January 1965, and carried by him to hand to his potential taxi customers.
Mike Attardi migrated to Australia from Sicily, Italy through the Assisted Passage scheme in 1960 on the ?Roma?. He was placed in the Bonegilla Migrant Reception and Training Centre near Aubury before moving to Melbourne, where his family joined him on the 'Neptunia' in 1961. Mike worked as a fitter and turner in factories throughout Melbourne and took up taxi driving part-time between 1964 and 1968 to save for a house. His experiences of taxi driving reveal both the dangers of the industry, and its place at the heart of Melbourne?s history.
- Single piece of thick, beige card. Printed on both sides in black ink. One side with company details and the other with personal details of the driver. Driver details handwritten in green ink. Registration number stamped in black ink on top left corner.
- Statement Of Significance:
- One of a small set of objects which contribute to representing the experiences of taxi drivers in metropolitan Melbourne during the 1960s and 1970s. In conjunction with an oral history interview it provides valuable insights into the history of the taxi driver industry in Australia and the daily working lives of taxi drivers. It also further contributes to narratives of European post-World War II migration through the Assisted Passage scheme, and specifically Italian and Sicilian migrant experiences.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Mr Michael Attardi, 2008
|Dimensions:||50 mm (Height), 82 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||working life, italian communities, italian immigration, working conditions, identifications, drivers, road transport, taxis, taxi services|
|Themes this item is part of:||Migration Collection, Transport Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection|
|Secondary Classification:||Settlement - Employment|
|Tertiary Classification:||training & employment records|
|Inscriptions:||Printed on both sides in black ink. Green ink handwriting and signature on one side. Black ink stamp.|
|User:||Mr Michael Attardi, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1965-1968|