Search the collections
Photograph - German Soldiers in Front of Archway to Sports Arena, World War I, 1916-1917 Reg. No: MM 117052
- Black and white photograph depicting a group of German soldiers in front of the gates to a sports arena. The gate is labelled 'Sportplatz der A.A. Scheffer'. Armee-Abteilung Scheffer was a German temporary army group active from 1916 to 1917.
The photograph dates to World War I. Its provenance is unknown.
- Black and white photographic print - now sepia appearance. Photograph is printed off-centre on paper, with rough edges to printing. Corners of paper creased.
- Statement Of Significance:
- One of a group of photographs and postcards that document the experience of German soldiers during World War I. Although the group has no provenance (it was originally offered anonymously to the Australian War Memorial), the images show a human side to soldiers of the Central Powers. Pictures by or of World War I German soldiers are relatively rare in Australian museums. These are particularly significant as they were apparently taken by German soldiers, showing them engaged in everyday activities.
The images chronicle German soldiers? wartime experience, from serving with Armeegruppe Schaffer in Romania up until the Romanian surrender in 1917. The group includes an image of a war-damaged French church/cathedral, probably taken after the Germans were moved from the Eastern to the Western front. Of particular interest is the image of celebrating German troops in Romania - documenting a victory that was to be short-lived for the Germans.
Further research - including translation of the German hand-written texts - will shed more light on the significance of these photographs and postcards.
- Description Of Content:
- Soldiers in front of festooned archway to a sports arena (on the gate 'Sportplatz der A.A. Scheffer'). Many of the soldiers are wearing officers' uniforms, with peaked caps and swagger sticks. Some of the others visible wear white trousers and shorts, and white shoes - possible sportspeople.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from David Crotty - Museum Victoria Collections, Research & Exhibitions, 2011
|Dimensions:||87 mm (Height), 117 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||world war i 1914-1918, soldiers, sporting competitions|
|Themes this item is part of:||Public Life & Institutions Collection|
|Primary Classification:||MILITARY HISTORY|
|Tertiary Classification:||recreation & tourism|
|Format:||Photograph - Contact Print; 3½ in. x 4½ in.|
|Date Made:||Europe, 1916-1917|
|Other Association (See Comments):||Germany
Origin of soldiers depicted.