Search the collections
Postcard - German Soldiers Relaxing, World War I, 5 Dec 1917 Reg. No: MM 117054
- Black and white postcard depicting a group of German soldiers relaxing in front of an unknown building. The caption on the back indicates that the photo was taken in Romania in December 1917.
The postcard dates to World War I. Its provenance is unknown.
- Black and white photographic print - now sepia appearance. Printed on back with lines for use as postcard. Corner creasing.
- Statement Of Significance:
- One of a group of photographs and postcards that document the experience of German soldiers during World War I. Although the group has no provenance (it was originally offered anonymously to the Australian War Memorial), the images show a human side to soldiers of the Central Powers. Pictures by or of World War I German soldiers are relatively rare in Australian museums. These are particularly significant as they were apparently taken by German soldiers, showing them engaged in everyday activities.
The images chronicle German soldiers? wartime experience, from serving with Armeegruppe Schaffer in Romania up until the Romanian surrender in 1917. The group includes an image of a war-damaged French church/cathedral, probably taken after the Germans were moved from the Eastern to the Western front. Of particular interest is the image of celebrating German troops in Romania - documenting a victory that was to be short-lived for the Germans.
Further research - including translation of the German hand-written texts - will shed more light on the significance of these photographs and postcards.
- Description Of Content:
- A group of German soldiers in the foreground. A shingled roof gable is visible directly behind them. Some of the soldiers are smoking, The soldier in the middle plays the accordion and some of the soldiers are drinking from various cups and bottles. The caption on the back says that the photo was taken in Romania in December 1917.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Mr David Crotty - Museum Victoria Collections, Research & Exhibitions, 2011
|Dimensions:||84 mm (Height), 115 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||world war i 1914-1918, soldiers|
|Themes this item is part of:||Public Life & Institutions Collection|
|Primary Classification:||MILITARY HISTORY|
|Tertiary Classification:||recreation & tourism|
|Inscriptions:||'Rumänien, den 5.12.17' [translation 'Romania, the 5.12.17']|
|Format:||Postcard: Sepia; 3½ in. x 4½ in.|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Romania, 5 Dec 1917|
|Other Association (See Comments):||Germany
Origin of soldiers depicted.