Search the collections
Postcard - German Soldiers at Table, World War I, 1914-1918 Reg. No: MM 117056
- Postcard depicting four German soldiers seated at a table in front of a hut. They appear to be reading and eating, and washing hangs on a line behind them. The image was taken slightly out of focus.
The postcard dates to World War I. Its provenance is unknown.
- Black and white photographic print - now sepia appearance. Thin white border to image. Printed on back with lines for use as postcard. Corner creasing.
- Statement Of Significance:
- One of a group of photographs and postcards that document the experience of German soldiers during World War I. Although the group has no provenance, the images show a human side to soldiers of the Central Powers. Pictures by or of World War I German soldiers are relatively rare in Australian museums. These are particularly significant as they were apparently taken by German soldiers, showing them engaged in everyday activities.
The images chronicle German soldiers? wartime experience, from serving with Armeegruppe Schaffer in Romania up until the Romanian surrender in 1917. The group includes an image of a war-damaged French church/cathedral, probably taken after the Germans were moved from the Eastern to the Western front. Of particular interest is the image of celebrating German troops in Romania - documenting a victory that was to be short-lived for the Germans.
Further research - including translation of the German hand-written texts - will shed more light on the significance of these photographs and postcards.
- Description Of Content:
- Four soldiers sitting behind a table in front of a hut with a curved roof resembling a Nissen hut. The hut has a pair of doors, one open, and no visible windows. The base of the hut has an unmortared brick wall with earth behind. There are flowers on the table and washing on a clothes line to the right of the soldiers. The soldiers seem to be reading books and newspapers and eating.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Mr David Crotty - Museum Victoria Collections, Research & Exhibitions, 2011
|Dimensions:||87 mm (Height), 139 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||world war i 1914-1918, soldiers|
|Themes this item is part of:||Public Life & Institutions Collection|
|Primary Classification:||MILITARY HISTORY|
|Tertiary Classification:||recreation & tourism|
|Format:||Postcard: Black & White|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Europe, 1914-1918|
|Other Association (See Comments):||Germany
Origin of soldiers depicted.