Search the collections
Similar items over time
Digital photograph - 'Trio of trees on fire 1', Black Saturday Bushfires, Strathewen, Victoria, 7 Feb 2009 Reg. No: MM 117105
- Digital photograph taken by Trevor Boyd on the fire front at Strathewen at 5.31pm, 7 February 2009 while on duty as a CFA volunteer. As 4th Lieutenant in the Plenty CFA brigade he led a tanker during the Black Saturday emergency and attempted to stop the fire front moving towards St Andrews. Trevor had three weeks leave from his paid work to assist in fire defence, searches, fire containment, mopping-up tasks and assisting bushfire survivors. Trevor intended that the CFA use the photos he took during the day as a teaching tool to develop volunteer firefighters situational awareness, and assist in their capacity to interpret, observe and redirect.
This photograph is one of ten images that Trevor offered as part of the community-led 'Bushfire Photo Exhibition' at the Bridges Restaurant/Nursery, Hurstbridge, held between February and March 2010.
- Digital photograph.
- Statement Of Significance:
- The bushfires of Black Saturday, 7 February 2009 caused significant damage to personal, community and state infrastructure. The capturing of images of burning trees evokes the dramatic atmospheric and visual changes associated with natural disasters, and, the surprising beauty found within these moments. These images reveal and document the photographers own experience of the fires, imbuing each image with the personal reflection of a significant historical moment. Historical significance is embedded in the image as it reflects a moment in time when destruction was imminent, and, allows the photographer to reveal an individual interpretation of the direct impact of a bushfire.
Inclusion in the 'The Bushfire Photo Exhibition', held at Hurstbridge between February and March 2010, adds to this photo's historical significance, and provides an intimate and authentic insight of the events of Black Saturday, experienced within the St Andrews and Strathewen communities. Significance is also enhanced as it documents this photographers personal experience during the fires of 2009.
- Description Of Content:
- The photograph of a burning tree trunk, and wind-tossed branches evokes the power and ferocity of the fire and wind that swept through Strathewen on Black Saturday. The house seen in the background was saved, but the car in the midground was destroyed by the fire. The photograph was taken on Hildebrand Rd, not far south of Maddens Bridge.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Mr Trevor Boyd
|Tagged with:||bushfires, photography, trees, natural environment, photographic exhibitions, natural disasters, photography exhibitions|
|Themes this item is part of:||Images & Image Making Collection, Sustainable Futures Collection, Victorian Bushfires Collection|
|Secondary Classification:||Natural Disasters|
|Format:||Digital Still Image: Colour|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Strathewen, Victoria, Australia, 7 Feb 2012
Hildebrand Rd, not far south of Maddens Bridge
|Photographer:||Mr Trevor Boyd, Strathewen, Victoria, Australia, 7 Feb 2009|
|Place & Date Exhibited:||Bridges Restaurant, Hurstbridge, Victoria, Australia, Feb 2010
As part of the Of 'Bushfire Photo Exhibition'. The exhibition catalogue included photograph name, photographer and details of sale price.
|Organiser of Event:||Ms Anita Norris, Arthurs Creek, Victoria, Australia, Feb 2010
Of 'Bushfire Photo Exhibition'
Fire Note Bushfire CRC and AFAC http://www.aies.net.au/files/pdf/Fire_Note_69.pdf retrieved 10/8/11
http://diamond-valley-leader.whereilive.com.au/news/story/vicroads-gets-the-accolades (cited, 11.4.12)