Search the collections
Passport - Issued to Yildiz Eyiam, Cyprus, 28 Jul 1951 Reg. No: HT 29286
- British Cypriot passport issued to Yildiz Eyiam in Cyprus in 1951. Cyprus was a crown colony of Great Britain until 1960.
Yildiz Dervish, born in 1925, migrated from Polis in north-west Cyprus on the 'Corsica' in December 1951 and arrived at Station Pier in Melbourne in January 1952. She had married Redjeb Eyyam by proxy (a male relative standing in for the absent groom) prior to leaving; Redjeb, born in 1922, had already migrated to Melbourne in 1949 to escape the economic hardships of post World War II Cyprus. They had never met. His name was changed to Eyiam at the passport office in Cyprus. Neither spoke English and they were among only a small number of Turkish Cypriot migrants to come out to Australia. Redjeb found no work in his trade as a bootmaker and worked in factories, taking in boarders to help pay the mortgage in Footscray. The couple had four children and over the years sponsored other relatives to migrate to Australia. Yildiz returned to Cyprus a number of times; Redjeb never went back.
- Passport with dark blue hard cover, and text and British coat of arms printed in gold (faded). Top right hand corner clipped. Contains 32 pages including bearer's name and personal details handwritten in blue ink, black and white photograph of bearer (Yildiz Eyiam) and series of stamps and handwritten notes relating to Redjeb's initial entry into Australia and passport renewal. Several pages stamped 'CANCELLED'.
- Statement Of Significance:
- This item is part of a collection which represents a small and lesser known community of migrants in Melbourne - Turkish Cypriots. The collection of photographs, documents and the suitcase also all help to tell stories relating to proxy marriage (common particularly amongst the Italian, Greek and Maltese migrants), and the practice of changing the names of migrants both before and after arrival in order to adapt to the demands and expectations of an English-speaking country.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Sherife Seyit, 2011
|Dimensions:||150 mm (Height), 100 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||migration settlement, citizenship|
|Themes this item is part of:||Migration Collection|
|Secondary Classification:||Processing - Planning & Departure|
|Inscriptions:||Cover Title: 'British Passport/United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland'|
|Issued To:||Mrs Yildiz Eyiam (Eyyam), Nicosia, Cyprus, 28 Jul 1951|
|Issued By:||United Kingdom: Government, Nicosia, Cyprus, 28 Jul 1951
Issued by the Governor of Cyprus for the United Kingdom