Search the collections
Marriage Permit - Issued to Yildiz Dervish & Redjeb Eyyam, Cyprus, 26 Feb 1951 Reg. No: HT 29287
- Marriage permit issued to Yildiz Dervish and Redjeb Eyyam (name later changed to Eyiam) in Cyprus on 22 February 1951. The permit records dowry amount, location of wedding, participants and subsequent certification in 1960.
Yildiz Dervish, born in 1925, migrated from Polis in north-west Cyprus on the 'Corsica' in December 1951 and arrived at Station Pier in Melbourne in January 1952. She had married Redjeb Eyyam by proxy (a male relative standing in for the absent groom) prior to leaving; Redjeb, born in 1922, had already migrated to Melbourne in 1949 to escape the economic hardships of post World War II Cyprus. They had never met. His name was changed to Eyiam at the passport office in Cyprus. Neither spoke English and they were among only a small number of Turkish Cypriot migrants to come out to Australia. Redjeb found no work in his trade as a bootmaker and worked in factories, taking in boarders to help pay the mortgage in Footscray. The couple had four children and over the years sponsored other relatives to migrate to Australia. Yildiz returned to Cyprus a number of times; Redjeb never went back.
- Permit printed on white paper with sections completed by hand in blue ink. All text in English.
- Statement Of Significance:
- This item is part of a collection which represents a small and lesser known community of migrants in Melbourne - Turkish Cypriots. The collection of photographs, documents and the suitcase also all help to tell stories relating to proxy marriage (common particularly amongst the Italian, Greek and Maltese migrants), and the practice of changing the names of migrants both before and after arrival in order to adapt to the demands and expectations of an English-speaking country.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Sherife Seyit, 2011
|Dimensions:||225 mm (Height), 210 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||weddings, identifications, migration settlement|
|Themes this item is part of:||Migration Collection|
|Secondary Classification:||Processing - Planning & Departure|
|Inscriptions:||Document entitled [in English]: MARRIAGE PERMIT
Stamp: [outer ring in Turkish] TURK CEMAAT MECLISI CEMAAT MAHKEMESI; [inner ring in Turkish] LEFKOSA-MAGUSA-GIRENE 1960
|Person Named:||Mrs Yildiz Eyiam (Eyyam), Polis, Cyprus, 1951|
|Person Named:||Mr Redjeb Eyiam (Eyyam), Polis, Cyprus, 1951|
|Place & Date Issued:||Cyprus, 26 Feb 1951|