Search the collections
Photograph - George Gordon Junior upon Conferring of His Degree, Melbourne University, Victoria, Apr 1946 Reg. No: MM 118731
- Sepia image of George Gordon Junior upon conferring of his degree at Melbourne University in April 1946, with his father George Gordon Senior. George Gordon Junior was a fellow student of Hope Macpherson, the first female curator at National Museum of Victoria (now Museum Victoria).
- Sepia image.
- Statement Of Significance:
- The Hope (Macpherson) Black Collection is a significant addition to Museum Victoria's working lives collection, it reveals the journey of a woman from depression era Melbourne and illustrates the power of education. It also reveals the often discriminatory policies in place in Victoria before the equal opportunity developments of the late 20th century. In balance though it also exposes the somewhat free expression possible for empowered women in this period. Hope Macpherson clearly states that in her day to day work she never felt discrimination and believes she was given great opportunity to pursue her career and aspirations. However, on analysis her role was often shaped by her gender and its perceived strengths and weaknesses; she was dissuaded from applying to become a taxidermist as it was 'an unsuitable job for a woman', although part of the first group of female scientists allowed to travel to Macquarie Island they were not permitted to camp on land with the male crew for fear of inciting passions. And finally after a distinguished career she was forced to resign her tenure as Australia's first female Curator when she married late in life, as a consequence of the Marriage bar.
- Description Of Content:
- Sepia image of two gentlemen standing in front of brick wall with partial leadlight window. Two gentlemen wearing suits, one also wearing academic gown, the other wearing a hat and overcoat.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Mrs Hope Black (nee Macpherson), 2011
|Dimensions:||139 mm (Height), 85 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||museum history, education|
|Themes this item is part of:||Hope Black nee Macpherson, Curator of Molluscs (1919 - ), Public Life & Institutions Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection|
|Primary Classification:||MUSEUM HISTORY|
|Secondary Classification:||Working Life|
|Inscriptions:||Conferring of degrees Melbourne University, George Gordon senior, George Gordon junior April 1946 [Handwritten in black ink]
Kodak Print, Velox.
Stamped in black ink 1547.
|Place & Date Depicted:||Parkville, Victoria, Australia, Apr 1946|
This item is part of the following themes: