Search the collections
Photograph - Antarctic view, exact location unknown, 1960 Reg. No: MM 118785
- Black and white image of an Antarctic view, exact location unknown.
- Black and white image.
- Statement Of Significance:
- The Hope (Macpherson) Black Collection is a significant addition to Museum Victoria's working lives collection, it reveals the journey of a woman from depression era Melbourne and illustrates the power of education. It also reveals the often discriminatory policies in place in Victoria before the equal opportunity developments of the late 20th century. In balance though it also exposes the somewhat free expression possible for empowered women in this period. Hope Macpherson clearly states that in her day to day work she never felt discrimination and believes she was given great opportunity to pursue her career and aspirations. However, on analysis her role was often shaped by her gender and its perceived strengths and weaknesses; she was dissuaded from applying to become a taxidermist as it was 'an unsuitable job for a woman', although part of the first group of female scientists allowed to travel to Macquarie Island they were not permitted to camp on land with the male crew for fear of inciting passions. And finally after a distinguished career she was forced to resign her tenure as Australia's first female Curator when she married late in life, as a consequence of the Marriage bar.
- Description Of Content:
- Black and white image of the landscape. Across the bottom of the image is a band of land, then water, snow, land and water, and lastly land and ice across the horizon.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Mrs Hope Black (nee Macpherson), 2011
|Dimensions:||119 mm (Width), 160 mm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||museum history, education|
|Themes this item is part of:||Antarctica Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection, Hope Black nee Macpherson, Curator of Molluscs (1919 - )|
|Primary Classification:||MUSEUM HISTORY|
|Secondary Classification:||Working Life|
|Inscriptions:||Department of External Affairs Antarctic Division Photograph Number S/0163/B Title Not to be reproduced without the authority of the Antarctic Division (stamp in black ink and hand written in pencil).|
|Format:||Photograph: Black & White|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Macquarie Island, Tasmania, Australia, 1960|