Search the collections
Photograph - Isobel Bennett, Susan Ingham, Mary Gillham & Hope Macpherson Before Boarding Thala Dan, Dec 1959 Reg. No: MM 118793
- Black and white image of Isobel Bennett, Susan Ingham, Mary Gillham and Hope Macpherson on dock with Thala Dan in the background in December 1959. Hope Macpherson who along with Isobel Bennett, Susan Ingham and Mary Gillham were the first women to visit the Antarctic, travelling on the Thala Dan for their expedition in December 1959. Hope was the first female curator at National Museum of Victoria (now Museum Victoria).
Left to right: Hope Macpherson, Mary Gillham, Susan Ingham and Isobel Bennett.
- Black and white image.
- Statement Of Significance:
- The Hope (Macpherson) Black Collection is a significant addition to Museum Victoria's working lives collection, it reveals the journey of a woman from depression era Melbourne and illustrates the power of education. It also reveals the often discriminatory policies in place in Victoria before the equal opportunity developments of the late 20th century. In balance though it also exposes the somewhat free expression possible for empowered women in this period. Hope Macpherson clearly states that in her day to day work she never felt discrimination and believes she was given great opportunity to pursue her career and aspirations. However, on analysis her role was often shaped by her gender and its perceived strengths and weaknesses; she was dissuaded from applying to become a taxidermist as it was 'an unsuitable job for a woman', although part of the first group of female scientists allowed to travel to Macquarie Island they were not permitted to camp on land with the male crew for fear of inciting passions. And finally after a distinguished career she was forced to resign her tenure as Australia's first female Curator when she married late in life, as a consequence of the Marriage bar.
- Description Of Content:
- Black and white image of four ladies standing on dock with ship Thala Dan in the background. All four ladies wearing skirts and blouses, looking away from camera, one wearing glasses, one wearing a head scarf. Stern of the ship in background and name Thala Dan can be seen on stern.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Mrs Hope Black (nee Macpherson), 2011
|Dimensions:||156 mm (Width), 212 mm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||museum history, education|
|Themes this item is part of:||Hope Black nee Macpherson, Curator of Molluscs (1919 - ), Antarctica Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection|
|Primary Classification:||MUSEUM HISTORY|
|Secondary Classification:||Working Life|
|Inscriptions:||Isobel Bennett, Susan Ingham, Mary Gillham, Hope Macpherson before boarding Thala Dan Dec 1959 (hand written in black ink).
Department of External Affairs Antarctic Division Photograph Number Title Not to be reproduced without the authority of the Antarctic Division (stamp in black ink).
ANARE Photo (stamp in black ink).
|Format:||Photograph: Black & White|
|Person Depicted:||Miss Hope Macpherson - National Museum of Victoria, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Dec 1959|