Search the collections
Similar items over time
Postcard - 'What's Wrong With This Picture?', 1 Aug 2009 Reg. No: HT 29774
- Postcard featuring two brides and two grooms against a red background, beneath the words 'What's wrong with this picture?' The answer on the reverse is 'Nothing'. The postcard advertises the cause of same-sex marriage and the National Day of Action, held on 1 August 2009, culminating in a rally at Federation Square.
The postcard was designed by Tim Wright using clip art from an idea suggested by Justin Hoffman. Copies were distributed at gay and lesbian businesses and passed out at events leading up to the National Day of Action.
Part of the Equal Love campaign for marriage law reform run by the Victorian Gay and Lesbian Rights Lobby. The goal of Equal Love is the repeal of the Australian ban on same-sex marriage formalized by the Howard federal government in 2004.
The Victorian Gay and Lesbian Rights Lobby states that:
'Equal Love aims to inform the community of the emotional, social and financial cost which results from the lack of same-sex relationship recognition. And to educate the community about the importance of formal legal recognition of same-sex couples, and advocate for change.' The Lobby seeks to reform federal, Victorian and local law. Regarding federal law, it focuses on the right of same sex couples to access marriage, the equal recognition of same sex domestic and de facto partnerships under law, the consideration of a civil union and relationship registration scheme as an alternative to same-sex marriage, and recognition of foreign marriages and civil unions between same-sex couples. Regarding Victorian law, the Lobby seeks to extend domestic partnership laws to include parenting rights and remove discrimination and the consideration of a civil union and relationship registration scheme. Regarding local law, it seeks a relationship registration scheme for same-sex couples recognized by local councils.
The City of Melbourne launched its Relationship Declaration Register on 2 April 2007, providing the means for both mixed-sex and same-sex couples to formally declare their relationships.
- Full-colour postcard featuring cartoon-style image of two women dressed as brides and two men dressed as grooms. They are set against a red background, with text above 'Q: What's wrong with this picture?'. On the reverse, the answer provided is 'A: Nothing'. Further text explains the logic for the campaign for same-sex marriage, the logo of Equal Love (crossed hands and a heart) and logos of supporters: the National Union of Students, ALSO, CAPA and the Victorian Gay & Lesbian Rights Lobby. On the right of the card, large coloured text advertises a National Day of Action on 1 August 2009.
- Statement Of Significance:
- Part of a Museum Victoria collection documenting the material culture of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer communities in Victoria. In 2005 the Museum joined with the Australian Lesbian and Gay Archives and the State Library of Victoria to conduct a survey of GLBT material culture in public and private collections in Victoria. (Refer Kate Davison (2006), Lesbian, Bisexual, Gay, Transgender Material Survey: Project Report 2006.) The report identified the need for major institutions to build their collections of GLBT material, providing better representation in Victorian museums and libraries and improving engagement with diverse communities.
Postcards like these are commonly distributed by lobby groups organising marches, blockades and other public campaigns relating to legislation, Government policy or community attitudes. They often specific advertise days of protest or events, and are sometimes supplemented by badges, posters, T-shirts and banners. They provide a material record of activity that is largely intangible and ephemeral, conducted in meeting rooms, on the streets and in on-line networking sites.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Meighen Katz, 2009
|Dimensions:||100 mm (Height), 150 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||marriage customs rites, political protests, lesbian gay, political rallies|
|Themes this item is part of:||Cultural Diversity Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection|
|Primary Classification:||POLITICS & PUBLIC PROTEST|
|Secondary Classification:||Sexual Politics|
|Inscriptions:||Printed on front: 'Q: What's wrong with this picture?'
On reverse: 'A: Nothing / That's why we need you to take part in our / national campaign for equal marriage rights. / It's been five years since the Australian / Parliament banned same-sex marriage. / Let's tell our politicians: love doesn't discriminate, / and neither should the law! / Saturday August 1st, 1.00pm / Federation Square, Melbourne / www.equallove.info / NATIONAL / DAY OF / ACTION FOR / SAME-SEX / MARRIAGE / AUGUST 1ST / 2009'.
|Place Named:||Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1 Aug 2009|
|Sponsor:||ALSO Foundation, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia|
|Sponsor:||Victorian Gay & Lesbian Rights Lobby, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia|
|Sponsor:||National Union of Students (NUS), Australia|
|Sponsor:||Council of Australian Postgraduate Associations (CAPA), South Melbourne, Victoria, Australia|
|References:||Victorian Gay and Lesbian Rights Lobby web site http://www.vglrl.org.au/campaigns/equal-love/index.php, accessed 20/9/2011|