Search the collections
Similar items over time
Program - 2nd Anniversary Memorial Service, 2009 Victorian Bushfires, Melbourne, 6 Feb 2011 Reg. No: HT 29954
- Program for the 2nd Anniversary Memorial Service, 2009 Victorian Bushfires, held at Zinc Square, Federation Square, Melbourne, 6 Feb 2011. This was one of many commemorative events held across Victorian to mark the 2nd anniversary of the 2009 bushfires. This Melbourne based event was organised the Victorian Bushfires Reconstruction and Recovery Commission (VBRRA), with input from Community Recovery Committees and the Bereaved Committee Advisory Group. The key focus for the service was to: 'Remember, Reflect, Hope. A service to remember those who died and those who were in many other ways affected by the Victorian bushfires of 2009'.
The booklet includes a list of key people who were involved in organising the 2nd Anniversary Service, the order of service. The service was led by Reverend Jim Pilmer, retired Victoria Police Chaplain. The following people contributed in presenting poems, songs, prayers or readings: Governor-General of Australia, Her Excellency Ms Quentin Bryce, Maddison (Maddy) Bartlett, Carol Matthews, Cam Tapp, Gerard Cunningham, Rosemary Savage, Claire Patti, David and Merelyn Carter, Christine Nixon and representatives from different faith communities.
- Stapled booklet with wattle illustrating the cover and internal pages. A yellow ribbon is illustrated on the last page. 6 pages.
- Statement Of Significance:
- The 2nd Anniversary Memorial Service commemorating the 2009 Victorian Bushfires encouraged people to actively participate in symbolic rituals during the service - to light a candle, leave a message, write on a stone. These items give form to the grief and the many ways in which symbols and rituals were used to mark this anniversary. The 2nd anniversary memorial service also shows the significant ways in which the impact of the disaster has rippled out into wider circles beyond those who were directly impacted. Where the 1st anniversary service was concerned with commemorating the loss of 173 people, the 2nd anniversary service paid particular attention to the impact of the disaster on locations, towns and broader communities, including the bereaved.
- Acquisition Information:
- Commission & Subsequent Transfer from Victorian Bushfire Reconstruction and Recovery Authority (VBRRA), 2011
|Dimensions:||210 mm (Height), 149 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||programmes, rituals, death mourning, public ceremonies, bushfires, memorials, public events, black saturday bushfires 2009, rituals beliefs|
|Themes this item is part of:||Public Life & Institutions Collection, Sustainable Futures Collection, Victorian Bushfires Collection|
|Secondary Classification:||Natural Disasters|
|Inscriptions:||Cover title reads: 'remember / reflect / hope / A Service to Remember / the 2009 Victorian Bushfires Two Years on / Zinc Square, Federation Square, Sunday 6th February 3pm'.|
|Organiser of Event:||Victorian Bushfire Reconstruction and Recovery Authority (VBRRA), Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 6 Feb 2011|
|Place & Date of Event:||Federation Square Zinc Space, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 6 Feb 2011|
|Person Named:||Reverend Jim Pilmer, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 6 Feb 2011|
|Person Named:||Governor-General Quentin Bryce, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 6 Feb 2011|