Search the collections
Knitting Book - Patons, 'Knit for Football', circa 1960-1965 Reg. No: HT 30048
- Patons knitting book, dated early1960s, titled 'Knitting for Football'.
This knitting book illustrates a market in handmade Victorian Football League footy fan gear, prior to the rise of commercial merchandising from the 1970s. It features jumpers for boys and girls, as well as beanies, scarves, cushion covers and bags, all to be knitted in club colours by mothers and grandmothers.
- Patons knitting book, 24pp (including cover) with two staples along central spine. Published by Patons & Baldwins (Aus) LTD, Flinders Lane, Melbourne. Front and back covers in full colour. Front features 2 teenagers, male and female and 2 boys, all in VFL football knits (Geelong, Essendon, Carlton and Hawthorn). Teenagers also wearing club beanies and carrying knitted cushion and bag. Patons Book No.C17 'Knit for Football - with Patons'. Inside pages feature knitting patterns for 'junior guernseys' for all the VFL teams, teenagers' 'sweater', 'caps', scarf, bag, cushion and club motifs.
- Statement Of Significance:
- This knitting book, printed in the early to mid 1960s (prior to decimal currency in 1966), illustrates a market in handmade Victorian Football League footy fan gear, prior to the rise of VFL/AFL merchandising from the 1970s onwards.
- Acquisition Information:
- Collected from Mr Michael Reason - Museum Victoria Collections, Research & Exhibitions, 2011
|Dimensions:||241 mm (Height), 180 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||sport, handcrafts, australian rules football, clothing patterns, knitting patterns, hand knitting|
|Themes this item is part of:||Domestic & Community Life Collection, Leisure Collection|
|Primary Classification:||ART & CRAFT|
|Inscriptions:||Printed on front: "PATONS BOOK / NO. C.17 / Knit for Football / - with Patons / Patons / Knitting Book / No. C.17"
Stamped no front: "ROOPAM / ....[Indecipherable]
Printed on inside back page: "Wholly Set Up and Printed in Australia / Published with All Rights Reserved by / PATONS & BALDWINS (AUSTRALIA) LIMITED / REG OFFICE: 84-94 FLINDERS LANE, MELBOURNE C.1 N.S.W. BRANCH: CHURCH AVENUE, MASCOT / Trade Marks Registered in Australia"
|Publisher:||Coats Patons (Aust) Ltd., Mount Waverley, Victoria, Australia, circa 1960-1965|