Search the collections
Similar items over time
Letter - From Percy Sharman, Science Master, Presbyterian Ladies College, Referral for Hope Macpherson, East Melbourne, 1 Jun 1937 Reg. No: HT 30153
- Letter of referral for Hope Macpherson from Percy Sharman, Science Master at Presbyterian Ladies College, East Melbourne.
Hope Macpherson was the first female curator at National Museum of Victoria (now Museum Victoria). Hope Macpherson along with Isobel Bennett, Susan Ingham and Mary Gillham were the first women to visit the Antarctic in their December 1959 expedition.
- One page typed letter on letterhead for Presbyterian Ladies College.
- Statement Of Significance:
- The Hope (Macpherson) Black Collection is a significant addition to Museum Victoria's working lives collection, it reveals the journey of a woman from depression era Melbourne and illustrates the power of education. It also reveals the often discriminatory policies in place in Victoria before the equal opportunity developments of the late 20th century. In balance though it also exposes the somewhat free expression possible for empowered women in this period. Hope Macpherson clearly states that in her day to day work she never felt discrimination and believes she was given great opportunity to pursue her career and aspirations. However, on analysis her role was often shaped by her gender and its perceived strengths and weaknesses; she was dissuaded from applying to become a taxidermist as it was 'an unsuitable job for a woman', although part of the first group of female scientists allowed to travel to Macquarie Island they were not permitted to camp on land with the male crew for fear of inciting passions. And finally after a distinguished career she was forced to resign her tenure as Australia's first female Curator when she married late in life, as a consequence of the Marriage bar.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Mrs Hope Black (nee Macpherson), 2011
|Dimensions:||172 mm (Width), 227 mm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||museum history, education|
|Themes this item is part of:||Public Life & Institutions Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection, Hope Black nee Macpherson, Curator of Molluscs (1919 - )|
|Primary Classification:||MUSEUM HISTORY|
|Secondary Classification:||Working Life|
|Person Named:||Miss Hope Macpherson - National Museum of Victoria, East Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 01 Jun 1937|
This item is part of the following themes: