Search the collections
Menu - Thala Dan, Daily Menu, 30 Dec 1959 Reg. No: HT 30166
- Daily menu for the Thala Dan on 30 December 1959 while Hope Macpherson was travelling on board during her first expedition to the Antarctic.
Hope Macpherson was the first female curator at National Museum of Victoria (now Museum Victoria). Hope along with Isobel Bennett, Susan Ingham and Mary Gillham were the first women to visit the Antarctic in their December 1959 expedition.
- One A4 sheet printed both sides, folded in half to create four pages in A5 size. Printed in black and red ink with the day's menu typewritten in the spaces provided.
- Statement Of Significance:
- The Hope (Macpherson) Black Collection is a significant addition to Museum Victoria's working lives collection, it reveals the journey of a woman from depression era Melbourne and illustrates the power of education. It also reveals the often discriminatory policies in place in Victoria before the equal opportunity developments of the late 20th century. In balance though it also exposes the somewhat free expression possible for empowered women in this period. Hope Macpherson clearly states that in her day to day work she never felt discrimination and believes she was given great opportunity to pursue her career and aspirations. However, on analysis her role was often shaped by her gender and its perceived strengths and weaknesses; she was dissuaded from applying to become a taxidermist as it was 'an unsuitable job for a woman', although part of the first group of female scientists allowed to travel to Macquarie Island they were not permitted to camp on land with the male crew for fear of inciting passions. And finally after a distinguished career she was forced to resign her tenure as Australia's first female Curator when she married late in life, as a consequence of the Marriage bar.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Mrs Hope Black (nee Macpherson), 2011
|Dimensions:||211 mm (Width), 299 mm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||museum history, education, making history - macquarie island expedition|
|Themes this item is part of:||Public Life & Institutions Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection, Hope Black nee Macpherson, Curator of Molluscs (1919 - ), Antarctica Collection|
|Primary Classification:||MUSEUM HISTORY|
|Secondary Classification:||Working Life|
|Inscriptions:||The date 30 Dec 1959 handwritten in blue ink on front.
The day's menu added to the inside pages using typewriter and black ink.
|Place & Date Used:||MV Thala Dan, Australian Antarctic Division Australian National Antarctic Research Expedition (ANARE), 30 Dec 1959|